Blackbirds and digging.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackbirds and digging.

Any idea when the little female blackbird is going to stop ransacking my plot? I don't mind the hundreds and hundreds of holes in the woodchip paths but she's destroyed a new bed overnight, pulled all my rocket up and today done the same to my strawberries. I presume she's feeding her young which is lovely but I wish she'd clear off! This isn't gonna carry on all summer is it?
    Last edited by Mr Bones; 02-08-2022, 06:20 AM. Reason: Mod edit - choice of phrase

Cover up the area with something temporarily. Plants will resist being dislodged once they have their roots down a bit. Old hedge trimmings if they are thorny and pushed in a bit will do it, or some polythene sheets. Maybe the surrounding areas are a bit dry as we haven't had much rain, so your patch is probably the easiest bit for her to dig around in. Just make it a bit harder, and she'll move on.

Comment

Blackbirds always dig.
      I saved some polythene mesh tree guards from a forest where the trees had grown out of them so that they fell off.
      They let the rain through and make the soil difficult to dig.
      I usually leave a bit of dug over space for them.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Peas/Sweet Pea shoots are another favourite, they think they are insects and pull them up. I cover them when in pots, with upturned hanging baskets.
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
        Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I'm using fleece until the frosts have gone and by then hopefully the plants will be well established.

Comment

I've netted as much as I can but she just moves somewhere else and ransacks a different bit. She's absolutely relentless. All day every day she's at it. Mainly the wood chip paths is fine. Kinda funny to watch but my plot looks like some flew over and carpet bombed it.

Comment

You should have seen my blueberry bed.
              The blackbird chucked almost an inch of compost out of the concrete and brick planter in all directions. I now stack sections of wood from pruning larger woody plants over the soil. When it rots I just stack more on while the blueberries gobble up all the fungus residue and benefit from the soil texture improvement from the remains of the wood.
              The blackbird takes a small number of fruits and in return chases off all other birds so that I don't have to cover it.
              A sacrificial summer raspberry close by helps if an easy perch is provided in the fruiting area.

Comment

Oh I wonder if it was a blackbird that pulled up two of the pea seedlings I had planted out at the weekend. I was blaming the fox.

Comment

Domestic cats also dig up seedlings too.

Comment

Know what you mean about blackbirds..
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackbird dig 1.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2523097
                    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

That is what my blueberry bed was like.
                      First it was mesh and then hardwood sticks to move them on.
                      The bird was just standing on the compost and throwing bits over its shoulder.
                      I believe it was hunting for tiny midges to eat.

Comment

A blackbird on my garden path today. She was gathering nesting material. Very fussy animal, discarded about three beak-fulls before flying off with some perfect bits :-)

Comment

The blackbirds had a boxing match at the allotment in order to find the winner of the rights to the wake of the rotavator.
                          Post#171 in the wildlife photos thread.
                          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...umber-2/page12
                          The one in the back garden has a massive amount of energy when it comes to spreading the mulch from under the rhubarb all over the path.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6715.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	2523717

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...