Bullfinch tapping on window constantly

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullfinch tapping on window constantly

My mum has a bullfinch at her living room window. If she closes the blind it goes to the other window.
    Does it see a rival or something?

Funny enough I had the same last yr in a spare room. There were no flies around the window as I checked. But I could see that it may see its reflection .
    Shutting the curtain in that room eventually stopped it. But mum can't keep her blinds shut all the time.
    any ideas?
    Northern England.

There used to be a dunnock that attacked the window of next door's shed, which was close to my fence, launching itself from the fence after running back and forth along the top of the fence in aggressive display. It did it every spring for years until the shed was changed for a bigger one without a window.

If the finch is standing on the sill to bang on the window, try to find something you can put on the sill so the finch can't stand on it. If he's using a branch or plant to launch from, cut it back.

I've heard that stretching cling film across the outside of the glass stops the reflection, but that will look a bit unsightly. You could try hanging sparkly dangly things down the outside of the window - strips of tinfoil, old CDs, tinsel. you can get bird scarers that are a prettier option, but will probably rattle and clatter unless you can suspend them near but not touching the glass and each other.

Apparently the trick is to break the cycle before the bird becomes totally obsessed with his reflection. My little dunnock was certainly obsessed!
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Territorial display syndrome, birds see their own reflection as a rival and attack.

Comment

The other option is to borrow a cat and encourage it to sit on the windowsills indoors
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

She is going to shut blinds when out , hopefully itl move to someone else's house
          Northern England.

Comment

Paste a bit of paper to the inside of the window to stop the reflection ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X