Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crab apple for wildlife

Afternoon all

Happy new year (and lockdown) to all! We are looking to buy a crab apple tree for the garden, mainly for birds and bees (ooh-er). There seems to be a lot of different varieties but I'm not sure if they are all equal in the eyes of the wildlife? Bonus points if it's a good one for jam, but thats definitely a secondary consideration.
    Thanks!
    Julia
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

This may help
    Crab Apple (Malus sylvestris) - British Trees - Woodland Trust

Comment

Well, I can only say that I have a smaller variety called Laura. We had lunch today watching the field fares pecking away at the old fruit on the ground. Lots of pollinators in the spring, too. Oh, and I made a fab jelly from it. Depends on how big a tree you want, this is a columnar one so has a small footprint, but also less fruit.

Comment

There's one near me that every year absolutely drips with apples from the top branches right down to the ground. It's a small yellow apple and the blackbirds love them, when the fruits fall there's always 8 or 10 blackbirds under the tree eating them. I think it may be Golden Hornet or perhaps Comtesse de Paris. It never fails to fruit and is tall for its spread so doesn't take up too much space.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	crab apple.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	906.0 KB
ID:	2515044
          Attached Files
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

The other point you may like to consider, though not important to wildlife, is the colour of the flowers. Some varieties are quite a bright pink, whereas others are .... well, more of an apple-blossom colour :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X