Raw beef fat for birds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw beef fat for birds?

I've got a big lump of raw beef fat cut off a roasting joint. I've read online you can make fat balls from suet, but can I use this lump of fat? I've got a bird feeder to hang it from. Should I cook it, let it cool and resolidify before hanging it up, or can I hang it raw?

We have had a problem with rats before, so I don't want to encourage them any further! But I also don't like chucking bits of animals in the bin

What do Birds Eat? | What to Feed Wild Birds - The RSPB
    Seems it's a potential breeding ground for bacteria that might kill birds

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      What do Birds Eat? | What to Feed Wild Birds - The RSPB
      Seems it's a potential breeding ground for bacteria that might kill birds
      Hmm, that article says the opposite? The only mentions of beef/suet are: "Lard and beef suet on their own are fine as they re-solidify after warming. And as they are pure fat, it's not as suitable for bacteria to breed on."

and:

"Polyunsaturated margarines or vegetable oils: Unlike humans, birds need high levels of saturated fat, such as raw suet and lard"

I think I'll just cook it, resolidify and then hang it up. I guess it's just like melting it to make fat ball. Thanks for the link
      Last edited by noisycrows; 27-11-2020, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Yes, it will be fine. I make my birds fat treats the same way and save all my hard fats for them. I melt it, let it cool then mix in huge amounts of seeds, nuts, oats, fruits etc. Some then press into solid blocks or balls, others I leave as a loose crumble for the tables. They can't get enough of it.
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
        Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by noisycrows View Post

Hmm, that article says the opposite? The only mentions of beef/suet are: "Lard and beef suet on their own are fine as they re-solidify after warming. And as they are pure fat, it's not as suitable for bacteria to breed on."

and:

"Polyunsaturated margarines or vegetable oils: Unlike humans, birds need high levels of saturated fat, such as raw suet and lard"

I think I'll just cook it, resolidify and then hang it up. I guess it's just like melting it to make fat ball. Thanks for the link
          I think it is referring to lard and beef suet when it says bacteria will not grow on it, not raw fat, however birds in the wild do pick over carcasses that they find, such as road kill, just doubt they eat much dead beef.

Comment

Thanks all, I think the birds will enjoy this!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X