Say no to the mow!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say no to the mow!

Earlier in the year my lawn went brown and crispy in the heat. Then it rained biblically and this lot appeared:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5798s.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2505837
    I couldn't bring myself to mow it because there were so many bees on the clover. The longer I leave it the more I like it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6074.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2505838
    In addition to the bees I'm starting to see grasshoppers, butterflies, hoverflies and all sorts. I do like the look of a freshly mown lawn, but I get far more joy from seeing the life in this lot.

I don't think I'm ever mowing again. I might do the edges to keep it from invading the borders, and maybe cut a path through where I walk most often, but apart from that I think I'm done.

Anyone else?

MBE
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

I let my lawn grow too, it's mainly white clover these days with daisies, dandelions and selfheal. This year I got some birdsfoot trefoil, crimson clover and vetch seeds to use as green manures but will also throw some around the lawn and wild areas hoping they'll take.
    I mow a path through my lawn, even then I have to be so slow because of all the bees feasting on there. Once the main flush of clover has finished, last week for me, I give it a tight mow and then let it start over again. I also let the bottom part of my garden and all the edges go completely untouched with just a selective cut back of pernicious weeds. My garden is full of wildlife and insects and I love it
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I have wild bits, but cut a lot of the grass, my neighbour sometimes doesn't cut her lawn all year, so we have both environments, a lot of birds like to feed on a freshly cut bit of grass.

Comment

This year I have let my lawn grown much long, and then mow it down but not as short as I used to cut it. Like you, mrbadexample, I saw the bees on the clover and other plants that popped up so leave mine much longer between cuts for that reason. I still do mow the lot but I figure it's much better for pollentating insects that I used to be so it's a compromise in my back garden
        Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Cutting later in the evening ensures many of the bees etc. have headed home, but there are always insects in the grass somewhere. A cylinder mower is potentially less harmful to the insect life compared to all that swirling air mass in a rotary affair. But if you let the grass grow longer from time to time you'll need a sythe or a rotary grass cutter! Cylinder mowers only cope with shorter well maintained lawns. So many of those insects are beneficial to the garden even if they are just food for birds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X