Mysterious Hedgehogs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious Hedgehogs

I know that hedgehogs are in decline and they are very sneaky when bumbling around gardens. But I have lot of hedgehog scat in the garden (verified via interwebby photos) and few slugs. But I have lived here 25 years and have NEVER seen one. Any pointers for seeing the little garden angels?

That's lovely to know they visit your garden!
    I've looked after quite a few rescued babies and adults so I have 'some' experience.

They will already have a balanced diet roaming from garden to garden ( they walk literally miles during the night!)

I'd suggest the best thing to leave out for them is dried cat food and maybe a few dried mealworms and a large bowl of fresh water ( but not so big they they could fall into)
    You could consider creating a safe place ( foxproof) for them to hibernate -the young will be exploring and need somewhere for this coming winter so now is a good time to start thinking about making your garden more attaractive to stay in than any of your neighbour's' !!!!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Nicos!

I have no neighbours (fields) but I have a med/large garden with a large wood pile and many drinks in thr garden for wildlife - both raised and on the ground. I put out meal worms and food for the birds, and know that it does get knocked to the ground. But I cannot put out cat food, unless I want very fat cats! Perhaps we should consider a house for hoggies

The previous owners (25 years ago) had oddly put up chainlink fence around the back and sides of the property - there is nothing there but a field so goodness knows why -they were afraid of dogs, so did not have any! I really dislike this fencing - it blocks wildlife and is very ugly and difficult to weed around. I have removed one section and some areas have been rutched up at the bottom to allow access for felines (with the fields we get a tremendous number of mice and voles and rats) and the occassional hare that visits. But it has a hedgerow growing through it on the sides, so it is not very easy to cut and remove.

I need a warm still evening to prowl around and see if I can hear (or see) my mysterious neighbours!

Comment

Sounds a perfect place for them!
        And You for that matter

Comment

They are almost nocturnal, I have seen the odd one in the daylight, but in my garden it's the middle of the night when they are out.
          Last edited by burnie; 14-07-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

OK, wandering around in the middle of a (not windy or raining!) night,it is, well, as soon as we have one. Sounds like a bit of an adventure!

Comment

Remember to take your camera!!!!!!

Comment

On several occasions I have seen a whole family outside my lounge window in the dead of night (mdnight) as I was going to bed. Also at around the same time the odd fox. Never caught one on camera though.

Comment

They come into our garden and the only way in is for them to climb over a brick wall, that ranges in height from 4ft to 6ft.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Was just out checking on the Bats with my detector and a grunting Hedgehog went shuffling by.

Comment

We found one in a flower border near the staff enterence to a commercial kitchen about 15 years ago.
                      We gave it some beef steak and it woolfed it down.
                      It came back often for more.
                      It got whatever meat was on the human menu.
                      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Get a motion activated night vision camera...

Comment

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Comment

Originally posted by Stan79 View Post
                            Get a motion activated night vision camera...
                            Definiely on the Christmas wish list!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X