Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow worms in the compost heap

Afternoon!

As the title suggests, I've got lots of lovely slowworms in my compost heap. This in itself is not a problem apart from the fact I desperately need to turn the heaps (tho perhaps not in the current melty weather) so I can actually get some compost out of it at some point! What's the best way to go about doing this without a) doing them any harm and b) disturbing them too much so they don't come back. They are welcome back once I've got the heaps turned!!

Cheers!
    Julia
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

In my experience, you can't disturb them so much they won't come back. I've scared off slow worms countless times, and I often pick them up to relocate them, and they always come back.

So my advice would be to either try and scare them out of the bin, or to pick them up one by one and move them somewhere else (somewhere they can hide). If you pick them up, try to grab them just behind the head - you should never grab them by the tail, as they will shed their tail to get away, and grabbing behind the head also means they cannot bite you.

You'll find they'll be back in the compost bin within a day or two of you finishing turning it.

Comment

Thanks, reassuring to know I wont scare them off (need them for slug patrol!). Also never knew they might bite, but as I rarely handle them unless I need to relocate prob not an issue. Just need the temp to drop so I can get going on this!

Comment

I wasn't aware they bite either -and this site says they don't. ( confused now!)

But it does say they are active at dusk so maybe think about turning your compost last thing in the evening?
        And in this heat you may prefer to do it then anyway?

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...ormadvice.aspx
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          I wasn't aware they bite either -and this site says they don't. ( confused now!)
          They're not massive biters, and they aren't venomous either, so a bite is nothing to worry too much about, but they do have sharp teeth and may bite if you handle them, in order to try and get away. That's why it's best to hold them just behind the head.

Comment

^^^ thanks for the warning!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

This thread’s similar,there’s good suggestions of starting a new heap next to it & using a bin lid to create a hiding space before you start so there’s somewhere for them to move to -

https://growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapev...-worms-dilemma

Comment

Thanks all! I'll maybe go for the evening for turning the heap then - going to wait until the weather breaks a bit though, even the evenings are too hot for digging type activities atm! Jungle Jane - unfortunately nowhere to put a new heap next to the current ones, but can certainly put out an alternative hiding place for them nearby so will give that a try!

Comment

Thanks all, managed to turn the heap with no casualties, although did have to relocate around a dozen of them into the long grass temporarily! A couple have now found their way back though

Comment

Slow worms are definitely a gardeners friend, we get them in the Glens, but not in my garden, mind we also get Adders in the Glens and I don't think they would be popular in the village lol.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X