Wasps

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasps

Hi All - can anyone advise on when wasps leave their nest, and how I might know when they have gone? I have a nest in a compost heap on my allotment, (which I have learned to live with as I hate killing anything - more so if I can't eat it!!) but obviously I'd like to use the compost. I know they generally die off in autumn but this one still seems to be going strong. Many thanks in advance.

No Idea, but I would think they would have stayed in the nest overwinter, even if only hibernating. It's only the flying wasps that disappear - the nest is the base for next year's invasion.

Comment

I expect it's nice and warm in the compost heap!
      I wonder if you water it and make it soggy they might go elsewhere? Be careful though!
      Last edited by lainey lou; 13-11-2008, 05:50 PM.
      Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I googled this quickly, which kinda confirmed what i though, wasps do die, the queens dont,

Wasps
        There are several species of social wasp in Great Britain. Common wasps have sharp tapered abdomens and are black and yellow striped. The hornet is the largest British wasp. All wasps have a reputation for stinging, however, the needle-like sting is possessed only by females and is concealed near the tip of the abdomen.

Queen wasps hibernate over-winter and emerge to build a nest in the spring. The nest will usually be located either in the ground or in cavities in trees, walls or buildings. Frequently wasps will nest in the roof space of a house. The nest is built up from wood pulp, which is moulded into the outer shell of the nest and many internal chambers.

The queen lays an egg in each of the chambers, which hatch into larvae. When fully grown the larvae pupate and emerge as workers who assist in rearing new larvae and new queens. Towards the end of the summer the queen lays a number of eggs which produce male wasps that mate with the new queens. In autumn all wasps die with the exception of the new queens that hibernate then emerge to build new nests the following spring. Old nests are not re-colonised the following year although a new nest may be established next to an existing nest.
        and on that note, i have to inform you that i am now going about my business singing 'john...big john....big bad john' no idea what the song is called, but my late father was a country and western fan.
        Vive Le Revolution!!!
        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Thanks for your reponses

Thanks Bride XIII - I must admit I googled it as well and read the same item - and the only reason I was asking is I think these wasps have scant regard for the rules as they don't seem to have any intention of leaving. I guess I'll just have to wait until I don't see them any more and risk lifting the cover. Still I'm pleased I've put a song in your head

Comment

well as you are down in my area i can answer as to why, it rarely gets THAT cold here as you know, jan/feb maybe it will be cold enough for them to die off, lets face it, apart from the rain, its been pretty pleasant down here this week. I am not sure we have even had a proper frost yet.
            Last edited by BrideXIII; 13-11-2008, 06:04 PM.
            Vive Le Revolution!!!
            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Wasps

That's true. I guess I'll just have to make do without that compost for the next few months. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady
                No Idea, but I would think they would have stayed in the nest overwinter, even if only hibernating. It's only the flying wasps that disappear - the nest is the base for next year's invasion.

There are non-flying wasps?

Anyway, as you've already googled they should die out when it gets cold, so it might be Jan/Feb time thanks to global-warming! We had a big nest in our eaves last year and they hadn't really disappeared/died out until Jan. The queen's hibernate and then new nests get built in spring - they do not re-use old nests the following year according to all the info I read.
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

4 years ago i came to look at this house in july,there was a wasp nest and millions of wasps in the roof, i rung the council and asked if they would get rid of it, he said no, unless they are still there when you move in ..... i moved in on november 19th 2004 and the only ones that were still there were a few dead ones, the nest is still in the roof cavity, and i don't think i've actually seen a wasp in my garden since.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X