Cow

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow

Had to do a double take last week as I drove up to my plot to find a cow standing in the middle of one of my pumpkin plants! It was totally crazy and there were about 4 in total roaming around on the site. It would appear a neighbouring field is going to be home over the summer but there is (was) a perfect cow sized gap in the fence!

All rounded up and safely ushered back into the field but sadly my pumpkin got trampled and right next to my would-be whopper! Still nevermind the vine was cut and burried and now I'll focus on a side one instead. Most plots are fenced with chicken wire so the eating veg stayed safe. Only the pumpkins are in open ground. I don't know nothing suprises me anymore with this plot....!!
    http://plot62.blogspot.com/

i think you should have taken the cow home, cos then you'd have free milk ...... or is cattle rustling still a hangable offence?

Comment

What do you mean milk.BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
        What do you mean milk.BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        but but cows are cute

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
          but but cows are cute
          Yeah but they taste nice
          The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

*pictures cloud with an axe, chasing a cow round the garden* and giggles, cos the cow has turned round and is now chasing cloud

Comment

Good grief Matt I dunno how you stay so philosophical you've had a lot to contend with there in the last year or so! I'd have at least wanted a few pints of milk in compensation and a bit of double cream wouldn't have gone amiss either

Comment

I'm afraid all these cows were good for was BEEF!! They were all young bullocks hence their exploratory instinct. They were quite excited and frisky so had to be careful but they knew they were in the wrong as they quickly went back to the gap tut tut

Since that day I haven't seen or heard them again. I'm starting to think they had escaped from another field first. In my opinion the neighbouring field doesn't appear suitable for cows as it doesn't really have any grass? It was used as arrable last year as well? But I'm not a farmer and don't claim to know about livestock. I don't think they'll see out the year though...
                http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Puts slugs into perspective though eh?
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I suppose there could have been a bull in the field with them too...that would have made it fun shooing them back into their field!!!!

( we have a Charolais bull with 10 cows and their calves in the field next to the garden in France...make you want to stay indoors when they're nearby as it's only a single barbed wire fence holding them back!!!)

He's a bit like this one- but his gonads are bigger and nearly drag on the floor!!!!

Google Image Result for http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0010/172387/charolais-bull.jpg

Oh yes....and they are all fully horned- including the bull :0
                    Last edited by Nicos; 31-07-2008, 10:44 AM.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

He's a beauty Nicos. We did a walk through some country fields a few weeks ago & we had to go through one which said 'Caution Bull in Field', never seen me get through a field so fast! I'm not sure if he was in there as there were a few cows & young & a few big looking animals lying down, luckily it was boiling hot so he would probably be too hot to chase us! I love cows & bulls but only from the other side of the fence & draw the line at them wandering into the garden/plot like Matt's!
                      My favourite cattle are Belted Galloways & Highlands, I also have favourite sheep - Herdwick, O.H. says I'm mad, people don't have a favourite breed of sheep but I used to have posters up with all different breeds!(Must be why I don't eat meat!)
                      Last edited by SueA; 31-07-2008, 11:51 AM.
                      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Holy Cow! (sorry, couldn't help meself).

As Sarz has said, I don't know how you stay so upbeat and philosophical about it all, but well done for doing so.

I do think you should have taken a photo and entered it into the virtual show - "best cow shaped pumpkin" - you'd of won hands down!

Stay positive dude.
                        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Where my youngest son works, the cows managed to escape and were in the carpark of the pub he works in, and in the road, a few feet away is a very busy main road.
                          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                          and ends with backache

Comment

We live a few houses from a field full of cows. A few years ago they got out in the early hours and strolled up the road via the front gardens leaving hoof-shaped holes in lawns and eating the contents of hanging baskets! they stopped next door to us as they have a hedge and they couldn't get through.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X