Daft blackbird

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daft blackbird

I have a blackbird nesting in a bush near my kitchen door. Now the problem with this is that it`s about 5 feet off the ground on the edge of the bush so you can see it quite easily.
    I try not to encourage small animals into the garden as I have a big dog who likes to eat small creatures if I`m not quick enough to rescue them(I know birds are good for the garden but it`s not fair on them.) how can I protect the bird from the dog without frightening the bird.

Sharon.
    I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

O HHH NOOO Not dogs again
    Seriously theres probably not a lot you can do.
    You could have a word with the dog
    The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

The problem with my dog is that she never listens to me, I should get my dad to have a word as she listens to him.
      I know dogs, cats and garden birds don`t mix but normally the birds nest higher up in the leylandi (the only good reason for having these trees) but for some reason this bird has decided to nest quite low down. I`m going to try and fence the bush off somehow and hopfully the chicks will stay the other side of it. We don`t use the kitchen door very often as it`s on the side of the house but it`s by the side gate, she looks quite young so prohaps it`s the first time she has laid.
      Sharon.

Comment

Seems to me dogs are like women,they don't listen
        The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

I was going to say that. I think she must take after me

Comment

Blackies do sometimes nest in really daft places Sharon and as a result they fail to raise the chicks successfully. It's a shame but just nature I suppose. You could put some kind of barrier round the area to keep the dog away. I hope it works out.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

We are going to try and fence her off somehow, the dog hasn`t noticed her yet and we are hoping it stays that way.
              Sharon.

Comment

You need to show the dog who is boss! That means you!

By all means use a fence, but the dog needs to learn that it cannot attack birds, so if the dog goes near the nest, say "no" loudly and clearly. Then, when the dog obeys you and comes away, reward it with a little treat (bickie, not birdie). It should soon associate "leave the birdie alone" with "get a little bickie"
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The problem with Malamutes is that they are very stubbern,
                  She is also what is called a passive dominant dog, she only does something if it benifits her. When she has been going towards the bird I call her back and give her fuss or a treat and that is working for now, it`s when the chicks start chirping that the problems might start. Also I`m putting grubs and things the otherside of the gate so the blackbird feeds there and not on the ground by the nest, hopefully if I do that a few times a day it will keep her safe.
                  Sharon.

Comment

Just a note to say that the blackbird is still there and the dog still hasn`t noticed

Comment

Thought I`d give you an update of the daft blackbird.
                      She`s still there and she seems to have 2 babys in the nest. That is that I`ve only seen 2 but the nest is very deep so there could be more in there. I don`t think there is a Mr blackbird as I`ve never seen him so I think she is looking after them on her own.
                      They don`t seem to make any noise, even when she comes with food for them. So I think she has told them to be quite. I`m still putting out sultanas for her morning and night and when I was mowing the lawn today she was following me pulling up worms for them.
                      The good news is that the dog hasn`t noticed her, I`m managing to keep her away from that side of the garden.

Comment

That is good news sharon. Do keep a close eye out for them when they fledge, apparently baby blackbirds leave nest before they have learnt to fly.

The RSPB: Blackbird: Breeding
                        To see a world in a grain of sand
                        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Thanks I will keep my eye on them. Went out today and there are 3 baby`s, their getting so big mum sits higher up so you can see her more.
                          Sometimes you can see all their beaks poking out of the top of the nest and they seem to be panting, it must be hot in their.

Comment

Ah lovely! Can you post some photos?

I have a baby blackbird following me round the lotty at the mo. She sits in the shade under my bean teepees, and I throw her bits of Macaroon (it's so dry that worms are in short supply)
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I feel for you Sharon. But there's probably not much you can do. Either they'll move or the dog will get 'em. My stubborn at hell dachshund/chihuahua mutt goes wild for all the birds that nest in the various bushes. I'm always catching him with the head and shoulder all the way in the foliage. Plus there were those cat birds that had been kicked out of the nest and left on the ground all over the yard. That was disastrous. At least the malamute will be able to kill the bird, so you don't have to. It's nothing to feel bad about, just natural selection,. There are plenty of black birds in the world.
                              The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it. -John Ruskin

http://wormsflowers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X