Lacewing or Ladybird Larvae?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacewing or Ladybird Larvae?

I'm just about to ring and order some larvae to control the greenfly which are wrecking my baskets! I've checked out as much info as I can, but still not sure...

Which is better for our small, enclosed garden where we mainly have everything in pots and beds - lacewing or ladybird larvae? Does it matter?

Thanks!
    I don't roll on Shabbos

dunno which is best, but i'd go for ladybirds, those lacewings are weird and freak me out when they get in the house ....... *shudders*

don't really think it matters much, as long as they have plenty of food
    Last edited by lynda66; 26-06-2008, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Hi Rhona, I think I'd go for the ladybird larvae although I there probably isn't much difference.I think they eat a larger quantity of aphids & I would imagine there is more chance of the ladybirds staying in your garden when they become adults but I could be wrong about that. Whichever one you choose I would try & put up some kind of shelter for them to overwinter in, you can buy ladybird & lacewing 'houses' or make your own by pushing reeds, grasses or hollow canes into a box framework.You could also try growing a patch of nettles or angelica & dill which ladybirds like & plenty of simple pollen rich flowers such as calendula which will attract lacewings & hoverflies too.
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Many thanks both! I've ordered ladybird larvae. We do already have a lacewing box so maybe some of the ladybirds will finally make use of it! x
        I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Well, it's a gorgeous warm sunny morning, and the larvae are settling into their new home... Finger's crossed!
          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
            Well, it's a gorgeous warm sunny morning, and the larvae are settling into their new home... Finger's crossed!
            How are your ladybirds doing?
            A closed mouth gathers no feet

Bad crop = it's the weather's fault, Good crop = Green fingers - Hmm

Comment

...well, I can report back that the ladybirds have done an awesome job; baskets back to full glory; would totally recommend getting those little fellas in to do the job! Beats sprays hands down.
              I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

If you plant some English Marigold (calendula) you'll attract loads of hoverflies, and their babies eat even more aphids than ladybirds do.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Darn it there are English ones as well as French and African?

I read elsewhere that I need the Single flowering type.

Is this a different cure to companion planting for Whitefly control on Toms in the GHouse?

Thanks

EDIT: Scratch that, now seen your reply to the other thread: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post264133

Thanks.
                  Last edited by Kristen; 31-07-2008, 09:08 AM.
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Thanks for the update Rhona, I might try ordering some myself next year, got a ladybird house & lots of ladybird-friendly plants but hardly any ladybirds this year.
                    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I bought ladybird larvae this year for the first time and have to say they have done a fantastic job. The plants that I put them on are virtually clear of aphids, and yet the stems were covered a few weeks ago. They have grown up, and laid eggs now so the cycle will hopefully start again. Ive bought a little house too so that I can over winter them.
                      Jules AKA Inca'smum

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X