Snake!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake!

Lol! OH just had a scare....apparently there was a large snake basking in our big black plastic compost bin! It was 'THIS' big and got in and out of the bin by squeezing thru the vent slots.

I presume it was a grass snake as they like stuff like compost bins and we're near a (small) river.

ps
    Did you know?

It is one of the few animals (including the hognose snake and the spitting cobra) to play dead to trick a predator (keeping up the pretence for up to 15 minutes). Grass snakes flip on to their back and lie completely still, with mouth open and tongue hanging out to complete the effect.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

And you will get the pic SBP. You always do. Let's see it.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'd of Adder fright too!

Someone help me...
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Alice
        And you will get the pic SBP. You always do. Let's see it.
        Lol! Not sure this time Alice, I only spotted the 'last' (same?) grass snake cos the sparrows set up a squawking round it.

It sounds like this is a mummy snake (it was looong, and apparently females are longer than the males), it could have been laying eggs in the compost heap - so we've stopped using it, better for the snake and us!
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

We get grass snakes round here up to 5 ft long! My son in law sent me a text message last week to say he'd had an adder in his garden and it was plain black (so NOT an adder then!) I asked him to check on google images if it was a grass snake but eventually he came up with a match -slow worm. Until the previous week I'd say they were rare round here but a local naturalist found one about half a mile from where SIL lives - with the river in between.
          PS slow worms are a sort of legless lizard, not technically a snake.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X