Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abandoned starling

What have I done?
    This little fella was hopping round my plot today, for ages. No other bird came near, and he didn't call for his mum either. He was pecking a lot at the ground, so I went to investigate. He hopped away from me but couldn't fly more than 6 inches.
    I left him for an hour.
    Still no adults came to feed him.
    I thought I'd put him up in the ivy for the night where he'd have some cover from marauding cats. He hopped right into my bucket and I noticed he has a deformed beak: he can't close it.

A goner. How can he survive if he can't feed himself? He can't even make a noise, to call for his mum.

I know you shouldn't pick them up, or handle them, and I know about imprinting. What would you do? Me, I went and dug up a few worms and hand-fed him. After a couple of minutes he perked right up and tried to peck them for himself, but being unable to close his beak, he can't pick them up.

What a dilemma.

I couldn't leave him overnight, unable to feed or fly, so I brought him home in my lunchbox
    He's now in my kitchen, eating worms every hour (that's what mum would be feeding him). Mr Sheds just went out and bought some Whiskas too (but it's only 8% protein, so not ideal)
    I intend to take him back to the allotment when he can feed himself and fly. I told Mr Sheds I'd take him back in the morning, but I think it'll be a couple of days.
    baby starling, 1 June 08 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Energency care of baby birds
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Darn it... I must be getting a summer cold *sniff*

Do let us know how your little chap gets on!
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

chicken is top notch protein and easy to digest. If you have a reptile shop close they will have meal worms live too.

Hope the wee lad gets up to speed soon.

Wren

Comment

He's perked up no end in just an hour. He's now feisty enough to peck me!
        He's managing to eat worms if he turns his head on the side and scoops them in. I am also dropping a few on the floor so he can practise on his own

Comment

We all know the theory, never adopt a baby bird, mum and dad will look after it!! However, if mum and dad have been nowhere near for more than an hour then it's pretty certain they have given up on him/her. Like you, I couldn't just leave it, just don't get your hopes up too much - it may not make it.

Comment

How does Mr Sheds feel about the new baby??

Comment

Mr Sheds just gave me "that look" !

Comment

Well, he was fine overnight with no feeds ( I figured they don't eat at night in the wild anyway), but his remaining earthworms escaped from their box! Mr Sheds not pleased to find them dessicated on the carpet this morning.

He's had half a boiled egg this morning, fed in unbelievably small pieces. It's Whiskas next, then I'm off to the bait shop for some horrible grub things, cos cat food doesn't have enough protein.

I've been trying to get him to exercise his wings, but the right one doesn't work properly ... I wonder if he fell out of the nest and damaged his beak and wing?

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to get him a cage in the yard. I can't put him back in the wild unable to feed or fly.

Comment

I don't think I could have left him either Two Sheds but I think you should contact the RSPB or a local vet & ask for advice. If he has a deformed beak & injured wing he won't be able to fend for himself in the wild & it might be kinder to have him put down. I wouldn't like to do that as I like to give everything a fighting chance but he was possibly pushed out of the nest because they realised there was something wrong with him. I'm not sure but I think vets are obliged to treat wild birds & animals free so you could always make enquiries. Hope everything turns out O.K.
                  Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Sue, top tip. I just rang my local vet, and they will either euthanise it or give it to "a lad who rehabilitates them".

I feel horribly guilty now for sending him to a probable death.

If that's the option, I'd prefer to keep him in a cage and hand-feed him for his natural life ~ but that's really not practical. I need to be realistic. I am undecided. Just off for a sniffle now.
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 02-06-2008, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Sorry to bore anyone with all this.
                      I just found a rescue-centre lady 20 miles away who will take him in if I can't keep him (and I could, if we could sort out the feeding, ie if twice a day is adequate)

While I've been talking to her on the phone, the bird has jumped from his box onto the table, then onto the keyboard ~ which was cute.starling2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

He then scampered up onto my shoulder and pecked at my teeth No way am I feeding him worms from my mouth
                      I guess he's imprinted now. Virtually a pet, now.
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 02-06-2008, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Looks like you have got a pet now

I do think he would not survive on his own so good luck with whatever you decide.

Mandy

Comment

My in-laws had a very tame blackbird in their garden with a deformed beak. They found stuff he could eat and eventually the beak sort of wore out and grew back a bit straighter. He could definitely cope. They didn't bring him in, but fed him in the garden. As far as I know he's still going strong. They called him Little Billie (bill, see.)
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Update: We saw the vet, who could not do any kind of beak-strapping: it was the gas chamber or nothing. They were lovely actually, and very happy for me to take him home again.

Next stop, the petshop for some hand-rearing parrot food ~ £18.99 !!! I took the shop's own brand mix instead at £3, and some Waxworms* (gross) at £2.40 for about ten. He's already eaten 5. I can't afford to feed him solely on waxworms, but it's heartening to see that he can manage them all by himself, which he couldn't do with earthworms**

He's had a bath, to see off any mites, and is now ruffling and preening next to me on "his" towel. My niece was right when she called them Darlings.
                            * June at Wiggly Wigglers

** apparently earthworms aren't recommended as they have parasites in their guts ~ but that's what birds eat in the wild?
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 02-06-2008, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Two_Sheds, these guys sell mealworms and waxworms a bit cheaper than you bought them today.

eBay UK Shop - Mantis World Exotics: Live Food, Live Specimens, Decor
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X