Tits have moved in at last

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tits have moved in at last

Despite having 8 nest boxes in the garden for the last few years, all have remained empty. That is up till now as one now has blue tits in residence feeding very noisey chicks.

I can hear the chicks as its right above my potting bench. The parents are making great inroads in the greenfly population which were all over the climbing roses.

At last.

We have 3 nest boxes (we did have one on the garage but that's currently undergoing a re-build and the box had to come down before the nesting season) and they are never all occupied at once. This year we have great tits in one. We have had coal tits on 2 occasions and last year the garage box had a family of blue tits. The path down the garden goes alongside the garage so on several occasions I narrowly missed having a bird in me ear as I walk down. They come whizzing in and out of those boxes amazingly fast!

Glad you've got residents at last. They are a great source of entertainment too. Who needs a telly?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Nice one! Now try and get a photo of them going in and out the nest box! I tried with our pair and have multiple pictures - of just the box!
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Been watching Springwatch, and it's quite interesting seeing how and what birds nest where. I never knew ducks used bird boxes!

Good luck with yours pw.

I guess for the seriously dedicated, there's ways of watching up close: Nature Cameras

Still trying to work out what to do with my two acquired bird boxes...
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

We have just been watching the tits zooming backwards and forwards to the feeding station (that sounds posh don't it!). We have two boxes in use, one either side of the garden path and we tiptoe up and down the garden like burglars! Both boxes full of noisey babies. I can just see one box when I am inside the shed and I have been hoping to take photos of when the babies fly but the camera seems to take the reflection from the grass. Other than that I hide behind the runner beans to try and catch a glimpse but still as I am the little beggars seem to know I am there and wont move until I have left. I just hope the neighbourhood cats don't get them.

Comment

We're enjoying SpringWatch too ... is Bill a 'short fat tit' ?
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              We're enjoying SpringWatch too ... is Bill a 'short fat tit' ?
              well my husband seems to think so!! Goody, goody gum gum!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X