No announcement yet.

who here talks to birds, also i would like to name my wood pigeons any ideas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who here talks to birds, also i would like to name my wood pigeons any ideas

ive have put nest boxes around my garden but as yet nothing, but i have noticed this now im growing more, i have more thrushes and blackbirds in my garden normaly its just the magpies and starlings i get, but i do have a loverly pair of collered doves that sit on my garden arch everyday waiting for me to put somthing out, they are quiet brave to, they let me walk under the arch without flying away. what cheered me up the most though was the other day a blue tit sat at the entrance of my patio doors just chirped at me then flew off, still hoping he will come back.
    does anyone hear talk or chirp to birds or is it just me who gets strange looks from the neighbours, my son loves trying to talk to the wood pigeons as they always seem to talk back

this loney pigeon attached is just sitting in the "birdbath" ( old flower pot saucer) which is full of water in the pouring rain he didnt move for 20 mins what did he think was going to happen the grass was going to flood !??!?!?!?!?!
    Attached Files

we have mostley sparrows and blue tits, they come quite close, we dont talk to them but we do translate what they are saying for instance a blue tit this morning was going from feeder to feeder saying, "is this all you have? really, you could have got some peanuts for me, I saw you go to the shops!"

personally I would call the wood pigons dinner.
    Yo an' Bob
    Walk lightly on the earth
    take only what you need
    give all you can
    and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
      we have mostley sparrows and blue tits, they come quite close, we dont talk to them but we do translate what they are saying for instance a blue tit this morning was going from feeder to feeder saying, "is this all you have? really, you could have got some peanuts for me, I saw you go to the shops!"

personally I would call the wood pigons dinner.
      PMSL Yo! Very funny!!

We dont talk to the birds, but do have a nesting pair of Robins that are very friendly on the plot, they will come to within 18" of you to look for worms in the beds that you're digging!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

now ya see if i was desperate for food i would have to shoot them both as birds normaly pair for life, my guilty conscience, but these 2 do have character gawdddddddddddddd im a blimin softie

Comment

Areia We had nest boxes in the garden for several years and nothing doing. Over a few seasons we would spot great and blue tits investigating and turning their noses up as unsuitable. This year we had both blue and great in both boxes and it has been fascinating watching them forage for seed. We spend a small fortune on it and justify it to ourselves that it is our hobby!! We are anxiously awaiting the babies leaving the nests. Next door but two have a couple of cheeky cats which sit on our path so we are trying to keep our eyes on them. Don't give up on the boxes - it will happen eventually. We also put up roosting pouches in the winter but as a des res the birds weren't interested. And yes - I talk to everything. If we are in a field and there are sheep I baah or moo back, much to my OH embarrassment. My daughter asked me the other day not to bark back at the dogs as she thinks I am teaching them bad habits!! Sanjo

Comment

I talk to the bees that've adopted my plot, and to any passing magpies, but most of my talking's done to the plants.

I'd be tempted to call the wood pigeons Dastardly and Muttley.

Comment

I talk to the birds - usually I tell the pigeons to bu&&er off, just repeatedly say hello and 'come on' to the robin, and tell the thrush that he's beautiful.

Most of the pigeons in the garden get christened 'Walter' after Walter Pidgeon (Walter Pidgeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
              http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

I always talk to them!
                I have a Female Blackbird, Mrs B, who hassles me for food whenever she sees me, she sits on top of my shed roof opposite my kithchen door waiting for me to give her a bit extra, without the other birds seeing.
                I hold my finger up and tell her to wait, go inside, then come out with a treat for her, I whistle so she knows i've got something then pop it down by some pots, before i've gone she's there, and when I'm gardening she sits near me in my raised bed waiting for me to give her worms and other goodies, she loves millipedes!!!

Mad! Me!! never!!!
                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Lol! Know what you mean peanut. We've a female blackie who hassles us for sultanas! Oh and the robin has been getting ideas from her too... There's lots of goldfinches on the nyger feeder and one (or more!) in particular 'bobs' on the feeder, so of course we call them Bob! Why not?
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I talk to the wild ducks in my garden, they quack by the back door when they're hungry!
                    we also have a robin that comes in the house and eats crumbs from the dogs bowl.
                    As for the wood pigeons the only things I say to them I can't repeat on here!

Comment

Yes, I talk to them Areia, and the ones I see regularly and recognise by their nesting or perching places, I give them names.
                      My best Blackie singer is Chanteclear.
                      The sparrows nesting under my roof are Sylvia and Sylvester.
                      The collar doves are Romeo and Juliet.
                      The wood pigeons are all called dinner.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I talk to birds all the time ... especially if Mrs G isn't there to tell me off
                        ntg
                        Never be afraid to try something new.
                        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                        ==================================================

Comment

We talk to Wendy - female blackie and her consort, Friendy. We also have a couple of daring house sparrows who will sit on the step. They are called Dobby and Winky. The starlings are referred to collectively as 'The Lads'. Himslef laughed at me once in the shop car park as I made a dash to post a letter. He saw me stop and talk to a starling!
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Us men are always accused of talking to tits.
                            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

i mow the lawn it has that misty (but gets through your clothes) rain and no word of a lie 30 odd blimin starlings doing there rain dance on the ground to bring up the worm must say on that scale was hilarious to watch, then they prompty ate all the berries of my mahiona(? however you spell it )
                              Last edited by areia; 30-05-2008, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X