bumble bee is occupied !!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bumble bee is occupied !!

Today I witnessed a bumble bee crawling into the shelter I've made for them!
    I'M SO HAPPY

It's just a clay flower pot that I've stuffed with used straw from my pet mouse, turn upside down, with the hole closed of course to keep the rain to come in... It's a real success!
    I think the smell from the straw have contributed greatly because I don't have that many bumble bee around...the smell might have attracted them

It was sunset and lady bumble bee was returning from a hard day work, and in the same time I witnessed the first flight of two babies great tit, with it's parents singing non stop in the elder tree, to guide them!
    They have been great in controlling the aphids on this particular tree, which was infested, now they show their kids where to go for food.... I feel blessed
    Last edited by marialittlebzz; 20-05-2008, 07:49 PM.

I think you're right about the 'mouse smell' being important maria. When I got one of the wooden bee boxes I did some googling for info and apparently bumble bees 're-use' old mouse nests. So I think maybe if I do get another bee nest (the last one wasn't succesful!) then I'll need some mouse 'smell'.
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 20-05-2008, 08:04 PM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

oh wow that's so great! i made a home this year very similar sounding to yours, but no sign of success, but then again, i didn't put straw in - i think i will try that tip, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by marialittlebzz View Post
        Today I witnessed a bumble bee crawling into the shelter I've made for them!
        I'M SO HAPPY)

It's just a clay flower pot that I've stuffed with used straw from my pet mouse, turn upside down, with the hole closed of course to keep the rain to come in... It's a real success!
        I think the smell from the straw have contributed greatly because I don't have that many bumble bee around...the smell might have attracted them
        That's great!
        I'd like to try the flower pot nest, but I'm confused as to how they get in there! I'm assuming they crawl in from underneath, do you make sure there a gaps for them?
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
        Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
          That's great!
          I'd like to try the flower pot nest, but I'm confused as to how they get in there! I'm assuming they crawl in from underneath, do you make sure there a gaps for them?
          you put in a pipe that goes from the outside into the pot.

How exciting marialittlebzz, keep us updated!
          Last edited by lainey lou; 21-05-2008, 08:36 AM.
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Actually, the pot is just sit on a flat stone close enough to the edge to make a "door" were they crawl into...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X