Woodpecker.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodpecker.

I'm just sooooo excited, we were on the lottie last night and heard a weird tapping noise. Clueless I investigated and found a woodpecker in our tree. This is only the second woodpecker that I've ever seen in my almost 50 years and the other one was whilst in the middle of nowhere on a camping trip in Somerset. This one is hanging around a Yorkshire city allotment, does this mean they are becoming more successful, or is it just me who until now has not been very observant? Please don't tell me it was just lost.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

They're good fun aren't they? They love peanuts by the way!

Here's an article that suggests an increase in woodies.

Has the reduction in nest-site competition from Starlings Sturnus vulgaris been a factor in the recent increase of Great Spotted Woodpecker Dendrocopos major numbers in Britain?

Capsule A national decline in Starling numbers and the reduction in nest-site competition may have contributed to the increase in nest success, numbers and habitat distribution of the Great Spotted Woodpecker in Britain.

Author: Smith, Ken W.1

Source: Bird Study, Volume 52, Number 3, 1 November 2005 , pp. 307-313(7)

Publisher: British Trust for Ornithology

Abstract:
    Aims To examine the evidence that nest-site competition from Starlings was once a significant factor in the breeding performance and phenology of the Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Methods The causes of nest failure, daily nest survival and first-egg dates of the Great Spotted Woodpecker from an intensive local study (1984–2003) and the national British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) Nest Record Cards are analysed in relation to nesting Starling density and BTO Common Bird Census/Breeding Bird Survey Starling population trends.

Results Nest-site interference from Starlings was cited as a significant cause of breeding failure in the Great Spotted Woodpecker. There were also significant relationships between Starling numbers and the woodpecker daily nest survival and first-egg dates at the local and national scale. With the decline in Starling numbers, cases of interference are no longer reported.

Conclusion Up to the 1980s, when Starling numbers were high, nest-site interference was a significant cause of nest failure and delayed breeding in the Great Spotted Woodpecker and may have been sufficiently high to affect their population and habitat distribution. The decline in Starling numbers in recent decades has led to increased breeding success of the woodpeckers and may have allowed them to expand their breeding distribution into less wooded habitats.

Document Type: Research article

Affiliations: 1: Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, The Lodge, Sandy, Bedfordshire, SG19 2DL, UK
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

We've seen three yesterday in and out of a neighbour's tree and heard one tapping this morning (downside. it was only 5.00 am!)
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Our lottie is edged by a small area of trees and there's a largish place nearby which is (according to a sign by the path) a surviving area of ancient woodland. There are a surprising number of wooded areas near here and it is council policy to preserve them/plant more so with any luck this particular woodpecker is just the first of many.

Comment

That's great news Bluemoon! Fingers crossed you'll see many more over time.
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

What type of woodpecker was it? It is likely a great spotted woodpecker (mostly black and white with some red on head and underside of tail) or a green woodpecker which is mostly green with a red head cap). Beautiful birds!
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Yes, Peanut, it was the black, white and red-headed type. I saw him again last night, so with any luck he's here to stay and not just passing through.
              Last edited by bluemoon; 30-04-2008, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X