Goldfish in waterbutts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldfish in waterbutts

ive recently read somewhere that you can have goldfish in your waterbutts. they add fertiliser to the rainwater. has anybody tried this.
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

I've seen fish in those timber half barrels, but I think really they should be given more room... And you wouldn't be able to empty the butt more than about halfway anyway.

I would just hang a muslin bag filled with nettles or comfrey leaves in the water. This will be just as good a fertiliser.
    Resistance is fertile

Comment

I have heard of fish in water butts but though it was to reduce mozzie larvae rather than for fertiliser.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Hi
        I've got Bob in my water butt (named after Bob Flowerdew - the idea of keeping goldfish was found in his book. Had him/her for two years and he/she has tripled in size.
        Bob certainly does his/her bit with the mozzie larva. Due to the rather Heath Robinson type guttering and downpipe from my shed I can't keep a lid on the butt where he/she lives so always leave it at least half full and use the water from the other butts that feed off this one.
        To make the whole thing look even more outlandish it has branches in for anything that might fall in (no casualties so far) and I float a chunk of polystyrene on the top for when the water freezes.
        Sue

Comment

Poor Bob can't you get another fish for company? Seems a fun idea though. Is he ok in the winter?

Comment

I've read about Bob Flowerdew keeping fish in his water butt too but as mine has a lid on it I don't think they'd be very happy!
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

SUE
              named after Bob Flowerdew - the idea of keeping goldfish was found in his book.

Do you have to cover it in carpet in the winter

Comment

I would agree with Shirl, I know a few farmers who keep goldfish in their water troughs from which their cows drink. They say it helps to keep the water clean, plus they consume the small crumbs of food (no fish food needed!) that often is stuck on the cow's nose that otherwise could decay and contaminate the water. They swear by it!

Comment

interesting jondanie....it sounds logical enough
                  All Recipes.com | Chocolate Gifts

Comment

My daughter has a few goldfish in her waterbutts. Mainly to eat the mozzie larvae and other baddies. They seem quite happy.

Comment

Headfry
                      Wasn't sure about introducing another one do they get on? Perhaps I could call it Flowerdew....

and Paul,
                      I've found the branches sticking out of the waterbutt together with the chunk of polystyrene floating on the top of the water keeps air available, And I'm on the allotment every other day so any ice that is there I lift off and stick in one of the other water butts.
                      Best wishes
                      Sue

Comment

I have 3 fancy goldfish in my water butts: they've been there for 2 years, so must be happy They are: a black Moor, a redcap and an all-white jobby.
                        They eat the mozzie larvae, and are a delightful entertainment in themselves. They were quite active today, I should probably start with the fish food again soon.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          I have 3 fancy goldfish in my water butts: they've been there for 2 years, so must be happy They are: a black Moor, a redcap and an all-white jobby.
                          They eat the mozzie larvae, and are a delightful entertainment in themselves. They were quite active today, I should probably start with the fish food again soon.
                          Easy with the fish food Twosheds, they're supposed to be eating the baddies. Mind you feeding them is a good way to make friends with them, I used to have a small pond in my garden with goldfish and a few small reject Koi Carp. They used to hear me walking down the garden, come to the surface for feeding and one particular Koi named Blue used to suck my fingers.

Comment

gold fish are fine in other fishy company! they do not fight! Unlike Mr HF's chyclids!!! no idea how to spell it sorry....they are warm water fish and very territorial and fight to the death sometimes!

Comment

Lids?

If you keep goldfish in the water butt does that mean you have to leave off the lids?

They surely wouldn't like living in the dark would they?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X