Starlings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starlings

Well its not the Carling advert, but it seems we've got a few roosting hereabouts. I was just trying to take a piccy of it being a 'bit black over Bill's mothers' when they flew by!

Attached Files
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

What a fantastic shot! Really atmospheric. Do you know where they roost?

Comment

Well I know there's a couple nested in next doors eaves! But no idea where they go to roost, they head off south-wards towards Devizes, but I think there's probably some trees nearer than there.

Comment

Great photo SBP. Have you ever seen the starlings doing this on Brighton sea front? It really makes the sky turn black. Never seen so many anywhere else, but I've seen it in Brighton twice, very odd!
        Resistance is fertile

Comment

Last time I remember seeing very large numbers of Starlings was in Brum city centre in the 80s - too busy dodging the poo to appreciate them!

Comment

Great picture Manda. We get large flocks but normally only in September. They look fantastic against a red sunset.

I am afraid to say that in our garden they are a bit of a pest ......... oooh I know, I shouldn't say it, but we are really overrun with them. They nest in the walls and under the bonnet of the car (seriously I've posted pictures here of nests under the bonnet - they will be starting in a few weeks time and we have to check the bonnet of each car every morning as they can build a nest in an hour - visitors beware!).

I keep telling them that they would have a far better life if they moved south (even told them that they are a dying species south), but do they go, do they heck. Then they start biting off the tops of the plants - so far they have denuded my holly bush which managed to make it through the winter and the outside clematis has absolutely no buds on it now. It will be the nasturtiums next. They just bite the flower heads off. Why?

Can someone tell me how I can live alongside these these (wonderful???) birds.

PS - I quite like them really .................... but they would try the patience of a saint!
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I think you need some sparrowhawks Jennie!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X