Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds of Spring

What is the sound of spring for you.

For us here it is the return of the Oystercatchers and bless their little cotton socks (do they have any?) they returned yesterday. A little earlier than some years. They are lying a little low due to 60 mph winds at the moment, but every so often we can hear their cry as they chase each other across the loch. Each year more and more return, and there is now a very large flock starting to nest in the undergrowth around the loch.
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Fabulous! I love oystercatchers. Do you have lots of curlews too?

Sounds of spring, I guess the birds song, such as a chiff chaff 'chiff chaffing' and great tits sounding like a 'rusty gate'!

But since we moved here our neighbours have made us aware of the first cuckoo's call. These return every year at about the weekend (of 3rd week of March) of the Devizes to Westminster canoe race apparently! So as everyone should know if you wish to live another year you have to have heard the cuckoo's call!
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Yes Manda we have lots of curlew, snipe and lapwings in the fields around us. I love the warbling sound of the snipe on a warm, windless evening (not many of them I might add), but that's more a sound of summer.

No cuckoos though!
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson
        No cuckoos though!
        Oh oh!
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I love hearing the blackbirds starting to sing again. And it always makes me slightly sad when they stop sining around July time, and I know winter is coming
          http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

The sound that makes me think winter is over is the Curlew i only see one or two each spring because they live on the wet land down the bottom of the hill by the river Blythe and they do not come up here very often a beautiful crying type song jacob
            What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
            Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Blackbirds singing at dusk, it's such a wonderful sound, really hopeful and joyful.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Had a walk through the woods near Fawsley Hall today and am sure I heard a woodpecker. Is that normal for this time of year? Also saw lots of lambs which always makes it seem like Spring. I love hearing the cuckoo, but my favourite thing is when the swallows arrive to take up residence in the stable.
                All at once I hear your voice
                And time just slips away
                Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Apart from the neighbours' lawnmowers - earlier this year! - I know it's spring when I pass the pond and hear splashing - amorous frogs at it like ... frogs. Soon we'll hear the deep throaty croaking. I love that.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

When I hear the faint ruslte of leaf-laden trees rather than the hollow howl of naked branches.

I wouldn't know an oyster catcher if it came up and caught my oysters. I'm rubbish with bird sounds other than the obvious - cuckoos, owls.
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

For me its the cuckoo definitely...but no chance to hear it in London !! its so sad to live in a city, season are so much the same apart from the weather or the temperature. Spring its something I rather "smell", quite strongly...its in the air!

Comment

Skylarks over the allotments! they sound of warm days!
                        The Blackbirds evening song! a lovely end to a day spent outside.
                        Doves on a hot summers morning when the windows and back door are open.
                        Owls in the night!
                        Robins in the Autumn
                        Curlews in the winter.
                        i could go on for ever, guess I just love the sounds of the out doors.
                        oh yes and the frogs song that going on now in my back garden!
                        heaven!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X