Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frogspawn- it's that time again folks!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frogspawn- it's that time again folks!!!

OK....another request PLEASE for a wildlife section????!!!!! ( Humph!!)

I was just wondering if anyone has any frogspawn yet?
    I know it's a bit early, but my lawn has started to grow, and it's usually around the time of my first lawn cutting that the frogs 'get up to it!!!!)
    Last edited by Nicos; 08-02-2008, 06:10 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    OK....another request PLEASE for a wildlife section????!!!!! ( Humph!!)
    Good call Nicos!!!

Its only one more forum....
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Nicos - you're not spying on me are you?! Working in The Happy Couple's garden today, I was pruning a massive Lonicera shrub, in The Shrubbery, as ya do.....and kept looking round to see where the 'noise' was coming from. This comical scene went on for about half hour, and I was truly wondering where the hidden camera was, when I noticed their round pond looked rather like a 'Stargazy Pie'. The surface of the pond was completely covered with frog heads peeping through the jewel-green pond weed, all croaking, some with other frogs on their backs (no, I covered my eyes, and I don't know what they were doing either....!) The pond was absolutely chockablock with Frogs.
      Mrs. Happy Couple (heavily pregnant) was quite speechless when she saw and heard her pond! and her cat, well, we watched him 'watching them' for most of the rest of the afternoon. It WAS funny!

Comment

Too cold here for frog sex. Earliest we have had spawn was end Feb and then it snowed and froze:-)
        Usually end March.

Comment

Frog Sex? Even the cat didn't know where to look....!

Comment

Our pond is only 3yrs old and for the first time this year we have Frog spawn
            First lot about 2 weeks ago, and now a total of four lots. The forecast for next few nights is cold so am bringing into the garage in a bucket the one lot that has some part above water. Hope the others survive.
            It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

What a good idea Grandpadragon!

Comment

I'm jealous...I want frogspawn..We have inherited a large pond that has loads of fish. Apparently the fish eat frogspawn so the two are rarely seen together. The fish keep breeding as well so there are new ones each year. I wouldn't mind if we saw them and enjoyed the fish but they spend all their time in the depths of the pond, rarely coming up at all.

Comment

cottage garden- could you devise a way of sectioning off a very small area of the edge of the pond that the fish couldn't access???
                  Maybe even make /buy a tiny pond to put next to the large one- just for the frogs?
                  My pond is tiny 1m x 1/2m ( I think it was the next size up from the smallest pre-formed ones you can buy at the garden centre.
                  The frogs are very happy there (just got to make sure it doesn't freeze over)
                  Some years I get too much frogspawn, but the early tadpoles eat the later spawn so at least they stand a better chance of survival. ( I also give plenty away!!)

Just a thought......
                  Last edited by Nicos; 09-02-2008, 09:21 PM.

Comment

What an excellent idea...I feel a bit silly for not thinking of it. I'll think of someway to section off a bit of the pond.
                    Thanks Nicos

Comment

Originally posted by Madasafish View Post
                      Earliest we have had spawn was end Feb and then it snowed and froze:-)
                      Usually end March.
                      Same thing happened to our spawn last year. will have to check the pond in the morning.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Went and had a look this morning, but nothing doing yet. I'm sure it won't be long though - they're rampant in our pond! We have fish in our pond too, but some of the spawn gets laid in the back section which sort of feeds into the main pond (has a 'waterfall' in it), so its safe enough there. In the main pond, the frogs seem to get it right into the weed where the fish can't really get at it. We always end up with masses of taddies, although the fish quite like them too, but a good number of froglets emerge much later. I love to watch it, and can't wait to be able to take spawn/taddies in to school to show the children; it's great for work on life cycles!

Comment

Nothing in ours yet either, unless its hidden under all the pond weed.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

None in ours at home yet either.

We have fish in the home pond and they eat our tadpoles as well (a few manage to turn into frogs) so I now move most of it to the two wildlife ponds on the allotments. We also hatch some in an old belfast sink tucked right out of the way to ensure we still have some hoppers in the garden each year.

Comment

nothing in mine yet, think its a bit early probably end of march if my memory serves me right
                              The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X