Newt!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newt!

About a month ago we finally dug out our wildlife pond (we've wanted to put on in for ages but had to wait until the kids were old enough). It's had water in for about 3 weeks and we've got a couple of slightly ropey looking pond plants in it from our old bucket pond - I've ordered loads online, but for obvious reasons they are taking ages to be sent out. We've been very excited to see a few diving beetles over the last couple of weeks and then today a newt!! It's still very barren round the edges apart from being turfed around most of it so we were not expecting anything this exciting for a long time!!
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Well done, they will settle in quickly. I only have a smallish pond and have at least 4 newts. It means you probably won't get toads though. Apparently you can have one or the other but they done like to share.

Hope you got something like Water Milfoil Myriophyllum Crispatum, the newts lay their spawn singly along the long stem under the water as well as it being an excellent oxygenating plant.
    V.P.
    The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Interesting that newts and toads don't mix. I found a newt in the greenhouse a bit ago and a couple of days ago, I was planting some tomatoes in a polytunnel. I dug a hole with a trowel and went to put a plant in when a toad climbed out. It was very lucky to be unharmed. it must have tunnelled there and I dug into it. I was a bit surprised at the time and took it to our pond as I thought it would be better there. But I should have left it in the polytunnel as it would have helped to keep the slugs down.

Comment

I have used an old bath as a pond liner on my allotment.
        I have seen a single frog in it a couple of times.
        A couple of times since something that dives with a "plop" sound as I approach is in there. It may well be a newt but I am yet to identify it.
        The surrounding plants are yet to grow on. I don't think I was early enough to get any spawn this year.
        Last edited by Plot70; 03-05-2020, 02:00 AM.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

That's fantastic news!
          Bet you're really chuffed you created the pond now

I hadn't realised there are only three native newts in the U.K......

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blo...itish-newt-id/

Are you able to identify which yours is?
          Last edited by Nicos; 03-05-2020, 04:45 AM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos, I'm pretty sure we have a smooth newt from what we could see! No idea where it might have come from but we have a log pile elsewhere in the garden so wondered if it might have been lurking in there!

Vegi Potager - that's interesting about the plant. We've ordered hornwort which is similar looking so hopefully that might do the job!
            Last edited by w33blegurl; 03-05-2020, 04:28 AM.
            If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

We have newts too. Had them for a number of yrs now in our tiny pond. Lovely when they have their babies.
              I've just given ours a partial clean and found adults and babies again.
              Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X