Sparrowhawk

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparrowhawk

This post is all about a incident i witnessed yesterday morning and watched with utter disbelief and shock .
    I was up bright and early as usual around severn having a cuppa on my back door step then a large bird flew past me at speed carried on over to my shed roof picked up a Starling with ease flew over the road landed at the side of wheely bin and proceeded to disembowel the screeching Starling .
    To say i was shocked was a understatement .
    the bird the took off with the now dead Starling gripped in its Talons .
    This whole episode took less that 2/3 minutes .
    I had a decent view of the predator Barred tail dark back and upper wings with a light coloured breast with dark crescent shaped feathers on it also very bright yellow eye's .
    My only guess as to what this bird could be is a Sparrowhawk .
    I was surprised by this as i would have thought a bird of a starlings size would have been to large for it to take and kill with ease .
    I may sound daft or i may be reading to much into the Sparrowhawks name that it would only take smaller birds such as Sparrows , Finches or Tit's ? .
    I have had a interest in garden birds for years now with feeders and a bird table in our garden and recently i was over the moon that a pair of Blue Tits have taken up residence in a long redundant bird box .
    Has anyone witnessed or heard about the incident i have described above and do members think i have got the identification of the bird of pray right ? .
    The only thing i can say is it left me shocked slightly upset for the Starling but in aw of the bird who caught it with its speed and nimbleness in flight .

It's so upsetting to witness something like that isn't it. I have Sparrowhawks around my garden too and they take anything they can. I often find pigeon remains on top of my open compost bin where they like to sit and devour their prey. I have also heard that awful sound when they have caught Blackbirds, it's just awful.
    Years ago I had a very tame Blackbird who would follow me everywhere up and down the garden and would sit with me at the table whilst he waited for more sultanas, one day I heard an awful noise outside my backdoor and it was a Sparrowhawk attacking a male Blackbird on the ground, now I know you should let nature take it's course, but on this occasion I couldn't stand by, in case it was "my" Blackbird, so I went out and the Sparrowhawk flew off, thankfully the Blackbird was fine, if a little traumatised.

I think yours sounds like it was a Sparrowhawk. They seem to have no fear of being right next to houses if they see an opportunity. Their eyes are stunning aren't they!
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Saw what I think was a sparrow hawk in our garden yesterday, we were out having a picnic and she came through from the veg patch before taking off and spiralling up and away. We have seen one around our garden several times in the last few years and I occasionally find evidence of kills in quieter areas of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X