Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird find - a buried egg

Hi,

While preparing a ceramic container (filled with compost from last season) for planting today, I unexpectedly unearthed an egg, buried about a couple of inches down - can’t be certain of the depth, because I wasn’t really expecting to find anything..!

I reburied it, but am wondering what it could be and how it got there?!

It’s about the same size as a chicken egg, maybe slightly smaller.

I live in a town, but the gardens in my area are a decent size and generally well-established.
    There’s wildlife such as hedgehogs and foxes.

Any ideas?

This is the 2nd thread about buried eggs in a couple of days!!
    Fox seems to be the culprit..........https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ed_101343.html

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Mystery may be solved then, although none of my immediate neighbours keep chickens, so I have no idea where it might have come from.

I don’t like the idea of foxes digging around in my garden; specifically in my veggie beds.
      Is there anything I can do to keep them off?

Comment

Foxes will usually eat bugs except in breeding season. They are territorial and if you get rid of one it usually only takes around 24-48hours for another one to move in. Territories can range from 4sq miles- 20sq. miles.

Foxes like bare soil and freshly dug beds so covering, planting and prickly toppings will all help to deter them. To be honest I never found them an issue as far as the garden is concerned it is more if you have a nest near by. They leave there scat where you can see it and they don't seem to go as frequently as many animals.

Comment

It might help if you water the edges of seed beds with the liquid waste from the shed latrine. Foxes use sent marking and will read it as they would for other foxes.
          Do not let is get into direct contact with plants unless it is a heap of couch grass roots awaiting recycling.
          The nutrients will be released in a form that promotes growth after a couple of months.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X