Surprised by events this morning .

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprised by events this morning .

This morning as i was feeding our rabbits and generally pottering about i kept on seeing Blue Tits flying from side to side in my back garden .
    This is no surprise in that we have been feeding birds for years until we had a Rat problem recently and i removed the feeders till i had sorted this out .
    My question or questions relate to this activity as i was astonished to see the Blue Tits going in and out of a nest box we have had on our garden fence for years without any bird showing any interest in it by years i mean something like 8/10 yrs .
    Question 1 . What should i do as the nest box is fixed directly above a section of my garden i am wanting to grow spuds in this year if i use this plot would it disturb the Blue Tits and make them abandon the box this is something i do not want to do ? .
    Question 2 . I am currently building a Chicken Shed and Coop very close to the nest box so far this activity has not disturbed them but as the Shed / Coop gets bigger will this activity disturb them ? .
    Question 3 . Would me taking down my bird feeders have any bearing on them nesting in our garden as i seem to remember reading somewhere that if feeders are to close this will disturb nesting birds mine used to be inside 3/4ft of the nest box ? .
    Question 4 . What could i do or what food should i put out food wise to help these Blue Tits and how near to the nest box should i put it ? .
    Lastly any other advice about nesting Blue Tits anyone can pass on would be greatly appreciated .
    I still cannot get over seeing this this morning after all the years of inactivity regarding this nest box a big but nice surprise on a boring Saturday morning .
    Big plus point i will have something interesting to watch during lock down .

I wouldn't worry just do your thing and they will do theirs.

I had a nesting pied wagtail in the most stupid of places and tried to put her off but she nested successfully for three years. https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...rds_85551.html

Comment

It's more of a concern when the birds have chicks in the nest, which is unlikely at the moment. I wouldn't move the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivanhoe View Post
        Question 3 . Would me taking down my bird feeders have any bearing on them nesting in our garden as i seem to remember reading somewhere that if feeders are to close this will disturb nesting birds mine used to be inside 3/4ft of the nest box ?
        Yes. blue tits are fiercely territorial and expend a lot of energy driving away other birds from their space. Feeders would be encouraging those birds to be near the nest site. Even though my feeders are the other end of my garden, the tits still drive off every chaffinch, great tit, long tail, robin, greenfinch and sparrow that tries to settle on them. And they watch from quite a distance away sometimes.

Originally posted by Ivanhoe View Post
        Question 4 . What could i do or what food should i put out food wise to help these Blue Tits and how near to the nest box should i put it ?
        Lastly any other advice about nesting Blue Tits anyone can pass on would be greatly appreciated .
        My blue tits appreciate sunflower hearts (shelled sunflowers), and particularly now, fat balls. I find a lot of birds that ignore fat balls all winter go for them first at this time of year.

If the nestbox is on a fence make sure cats and squirrels can't reach it from above or below. I find a piece of loosely attached chicken wire above, and similar below stops them getting a paw in the hole. What I mean is take a square or oblong piece of chicken wire about a foot to 18" on a side,and attach one edge only to the fence with staples. Bend it so the wire is hanging out over the box but not touching it to prevent anything trying to step down onto the box. (Hope you see what I mean, doesn't sound very clear - I'll get a picture for you if not)
        Last edited by mothhawk; 18-04-2020, 09:48 AM.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

I have a idea what you mean by that and i have some left over wire from making a new rabbit hutch that should do the trick .

Comment

How lovely. Hope all goes well with your nesters
            Northern England.

Comment

Here's the wire over my box. It's actually supported by two cup hooks, and the box has been used almost every year for at least 15 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	birdbox resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	664.8 KB
ID:	2387024
              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Quick update on how things are going .
                This afternoon watched one bird which i would imagine was the male land on the fence and saw the other bird come out of the nest box and be fed by him .
                Thought at first it was feeding a youngster due to the flapping wings .

Comment

That must have been lovely to see!
                  Well done protecting the nest
                  Very worth while eh?
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Lovely .......
                    Northern England.

Comment

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...XCqLmyXdbeK22M
                      The Blue Tits in the nest box are doing well so far with no cats or squirrels disturbing them .
                      Yesterday afternoon we was out in the garden and i managed to get this 3 min video clip of them they are now very busy and certainly putting the mileage in i dont know if they have chicks yet ? .

Comment

Congrats, Ivanhoe. Bet you must be pleased as punch.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X