Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a froggy friend

Hello!
    Upon sorting my pots etc out for planing I found a rather lovely froggy hiding in a plant pot, I would have left him where I found him but unfortunately that place no longer exists. I created a little “pond” out of an old talk we had (it’s all I had) with some logs and slabs so he can climb up and out if he wanted to, with it being so hot I was worried he’d dry out and die.
    Was this the right thing to do? I am now being called cruel but a few people when I asked for advice on a local community page on Facebook. My intention was obviously it to be cruel to “Derek”
    Any advice?

It only sounds a bit cruel because of being in a tank,would it be a bit difficult to get out,how deep is the water & size of the tank,some tanks are huge? If the exit ramp is in the open,not concealed from birds etc it might not feel comfortable climbing out? Depends on the set up,you can upload photos after about twelve posts if you want to show us what you mean.

Comment

How deep.is the tank ?
      Northern England.

Comment

It’s a fairly deep tank, it used to be my husbands old marine tank, I’ve made him a ramp with paving slabs that are supported by logs so he can hide, it’s in the darkest, dankest corner of our garden that gets no sun, there is about 2/3 inches of water in the bottom with some rocks, slabs and logs at different depths of the water so he isn’t either submerged or out completely, he has options!

Comment

Your tank does not sound like a good idea, how will it get any food? It might want to leave and now can't, maybe you should let it go once it is dark to avoid most predators.

Comment

I think you should create a path out of your tank so he can go and meet other frogs - he might bring a mate back. also, if there is way in and out, other animals may like to spend a bit of time there.

Comment

I don’t know how good their eyesight is but when his heads above water he must see glass walls all around? If he was put on the ground outside the tank,he’ll be able to find his way in so he knows how to get back out,I would take him out just incase,if it’s what he wants he’ll go back there. (There’s a bit of distance between being in the water & getting to land so I’d worry if he’s scared to come out & not able to find food etc).
              If he was outside the tank,how would he get back in,would he have to do a high jump? There’s an old tank in our garden but a frogs never gone in it,its too obtrusive it’s not as nice as a pond being in the open (I’ve had to put a plank of wood in there incase one does get in though,it’s got a lid but there’s gaps at the edges).

Comment

Can you not just put a few rocks in the tank for foggy to climb up on to and put near the side so he can get out.

Comment

I sunk an old bath into the ground so that the edge is level with the ground as an overflow tank for the water butt.
                  A frog got in of its own accord and has climbed out and back in again a couple of times.
                  I just added a wavy line of mastic as a ladder and also planted a fern next to it with last years fronds trailing into the water. I am not sure what route it is using for access though.
                  Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I have seen the frog at the other end of the plot.
                    I was doing the watering and a little splash of water had it out of hiding hopping around.
                    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X