Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hibernating Newts

Hi all

Hoping someone will be able to help me with my question.

Back in February we were digging out old raised beds and relocating what we can but whilst digging the soil out we found some newts hibernating so stopped. Would it be okay to start again or do we need to still leave alone?

Chunky
    Learning and trying to live a more simple lifestyle.

They should be out and about in water breeding by now in Norfolk, but overnight temperatures locally will dictate that. Is there a pond nearby by? if so it might be ok to proceed with caution, maybe phone the Norfolk Wildlife Trust, they have some very knowledgeable folk, if they are working of course.

Comment

Depending on the kind of newt, they may well be a protected species. as in the Great Crested Newt. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/great-cr...s-and-licences

Comment

Thanks Aberdeen

They are normal newts not great crested. As soon as we found them we stopped digging as didn’t want to cause any more disruption to them than we already had.

Comment

Thanks Burnie

Apologies for not acknowledging your post but it didn’t show earlier. I have a pond in the garden, i’m hoping to sort it out later in the year and give it a good clean out/tidy up and get rid of some of the plants as they are taking over.

May have a little dig and if I see any will stop again.

Comment

Be ok. Have them round my garden . They move to the pond .
            Northern England.

Comment

Thanks CG

Will have a day in the garden tomorrow as got 2t of topsoil arriving so will need to shift that and then start on moving the old beds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X