Name that bird of prey

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that bird of prey

Seen this little fella a couple of times briefly, always in the same place.
    Here is a terrible photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2110-540x960r.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	2407560

My best guess is sparrow hawk but if anyone else has a better knowledge of these things please let me know what it is likely to be.

looks like a sparrow hawk to me.
    Always nice to see in the garden
    sigpic

Comment

I love seeing birds of prey about, but am also a bit conflicted when I see them as we feed the garden birds and his perch is about 15ft from our feeding spot. I know it's nature and predators have a place in the food chain but i also know I'm changing natural behaviour of all the birds by my feeding.

Comment

Looks like a sparrow hawk to me also

Comment

I’m also going with sparrow hawk

Comment

Female Sparrowhawk Awesome birds!
            If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Wow, impressive Jimny

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

Evidence is I had a visit from a female sparrowhawk a few days back. Nice circle of pigeon feathers on the ground under the cherry.

About a year back the female nailed a pigeon in the garden - pigeons seems a bit too big for the males, but have seen the female take one.

Just feathers, nothing else. Having seen the male eat its way through a green finch they seem to eat everything - maybe not the beak, but everything else seems to get eaten.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E865B769-2F2A-4250-A6D4-9D05A6E3220A.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	2385397

This sparrow hawk had just taken a pigeon on my Bog Lane

Comment

looks like a sparrowhawk to me.

Comment

Definitely, a sparrow hawk. But it's illegal to try & kill them. If anything, it'll keep away the pests & probably kill the weakest of the garden birds. Be careful when you put slug pellets down, as it's poisonous to whatever will eat the slugs, & in turn to the animal/bird that's at the top of it's food chain

Comment

Originally posted by carolefu View Post
                        Definitely, a sparrow hawk. But it's illegal to try & kill them. If anything, it'll keep away the pests & probably kill the weakest of the garden birds. Be careful when you put slug pellets down, as it's poisonous to whatever will eat the slugs, & in turn to the animal/bird that's at the top of it's food chain

Thanks for the information. I can reassure you I wish our little sparrow hawk no ill. I don't use slug pellets for a variety of reasons, including an inquisitive toddler around and about. It's lovely to see random rarities of wildlife around our garden and I like to keep some wilder areas for wildlife (I have to be a bit sneaky to ensure SWMBO thinks the garden still looks neat enough).

Comment

My female sparrow hawk has been visiting a few times, managed a few pictures of her.
                          Keep finding a patch of feathers around the garden where she has had "lunch".

Get a lot of feathers off a pigeon. Only ever feathers, how she flies after snacking on a whole pigeon must be difficult.

Last time I saw her was because of the magpies making a racket, she had caught something small and it was lunch.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X