Birds and their nests 2019/20

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds and their nests 2019/20

We all like photos and wildlife reports.
    The birds are busy nest building and we've already seen a Pied Wagtail nest. https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...hlight=wagtail

Would you like to tell us what activity you've seen in your garden/plot/locality? Words or pictures - we don't mind.

Am hoping to get some nesting birds this year. Have a few nest boxes and have had great tits and blue tits nesting in the last couple of years. Saw a pair of blue Tits going in one the other day. I think they were just checking it out but hopeful. Will give the dog a brush in the back garden tomorrow if the weather is better that’ll give the birds plenty fur for their nests

Comment

Ive been trying to keep my cat out of my daughters bedroom because he’ll jump on the windowsill & scare the doves away,they made a nest with my shrub cuttings about a week ago,I should’ve cut the bits shorter -

Click image for larger version

Name:	9041470F-03B0-4DE9-B83C-90F99DA4B2BE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2382973

Comment

Have fun all, but beware there are legal obligations re- disturbing birds
        Photographing Schedule 1 birds

Comment

As Burnie says ^^^ . Thanks fpr the reminder.
          I know you're all wild-life friendly and wouldn't disturb a bird just for a photo.

Comment

Been watching a robin perched on the roof of one of my bee-hives pecking little midge type flies out of the air - not a behaviour I've seen before (probably got tired of waiting for me to do a bit more digging)

Comment

A hen blackbird was busy early this morning giving last year's nest in the Italian buckthorn a makeover.
              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Here she is, still working hard today.

Name:	blackbird.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	2383006
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Blue tits spotted going into the bird box with a feather so looking like they have moved beyond checking it out. Just started getting a pair of bullfinches and a pair of goldfinches regularly in the garden. You never know maybe they will be looking for a wee nest spot too. Always hopeful.

Comment

I keep two "feeders" full of dog fur for the birds to use for nesting material. The blue and great tits have been collecting it for a month or so and today, there was a wren pulling some fur out.
                    One of my dogs (Bess) has white fur, the other two have black/brown. I've noticed that the birds prefer the white, which is also longer and softer than the other two's fur.

I've seen the Pied Wagtail coming out of the blowaway GH a few times, hope its not going to nest in there as its where I store the compost bags for the tomatoes.

Comment

The blackbird decided she needed some mud to help pack down and secure all the yard long lengths of grasses and vines she has been busy collecting. Since there has been no decent rain for quite a while, the dampest soil was in my pots of seedlings.

Twenty three plug size pots plundered, the soil in the centres taken out almost to the bottom. Seedlings cast aside, wilted and pecked.
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

First swallows seen this afternoon

Welcome home little guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Angeldon View Post
                          Welcome home little guys.
                          I used to have loads nesting here but they slowly dwindled and last year we didn't get one at all.
                          Last edited by Scarlet; 14-04-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Not quite in the garden, but not that far away lol

Name:	BM1K9184.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	2383075

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                              Not quite in the garden, but not that far away lol
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]86104[/ATTACH]
                              I hope you're keeping the pond well stocked for them.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X