Caterpillar identification needed ASAP

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caterpillar identification needed ASAP

Found these on the GH strawberry plants today. They look like Brown tail moths and if so, I'll get rid of them. If they're something beneficial, I'll leave them to grow on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0206.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	2406645

Name:	DSCF0207.JPG
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	2406646

Just found this Knot Grass Moths - Acronicta rumicis - UK Safari
    Last edited by cariann88; 01-10-2018, 10:53 AM.
    Carrie

Comment

They're like those ^^^ but without the tufts on their back. Thanks Cariann.

Comment

These are the same as the grubs found on my sweet corn away back in July. All doom and gloom from you then. I just left them and there was no great plague or pestilence.

Think quite harmless

Comment

Illustrated Guide to British Caterpillars | Wildlife Insight
          cannot see what you want,but thought it may be of use for others,very interesting
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I agree, they look like brown tail caterpillars.

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
            These are the same as the grubs found on my sweet corn away back in July. All doom and gloom from you then. I just left them and there was no great plague or pestilence.

Think quite harmless
            Brown tails have irritant hairs that can cause a painful skin rash which lasts two or three days. So not totally harmless.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post

Think quite harmless
              No doom and gloom from me - I suggested they could be Drinker moths.
              https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1607687

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                I agree, they look like brown tail caterpillars.

Brown tails have irritant hairs that can cause a painful skin rash which lasts two or three days. So not totally harmless.
                Thanks MH.
                I've picked a tub of them and moved the strawberry planter outdoors. Will keep an careful idea on the remaining plants in case there are more lurking.

Comment

Thanks to Lottie's link, I'm veering towards Yellow tail moth - as I can't see the 2 red spots that the Browntail has.
                  Unfortunately for the Yellow tail it is also an irritant and I don't want them breeding in the GH. I hate doing it but their days are numbered.

http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/briti...octis-similis/
                  Last edited by veggiechicken; 01-10-2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I had a similar thing on my strawberry plants earlier this year...

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ase_97024.html

It was just one, and even though I didn't do anything about it, it sort of 'disappeared' on its own. I didn't find any nibbled leaves or any damage of any kind.

Comment

Thanks Runtpuppy. They do look similar.

YOu were lucky to have just one. Mine are decimating the strawberry leaves.

Name:	DSCF0208.jpg
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	2380987

Comment

Ah, ouch!

Yeah, I'd not have been too happy if they did this. Are they safe for chickens? Maybe your feathered friends would like them.

Comment

I'm not going to risk it as the hairs are irritants - imagine having one of those stuck in your beak.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            No doom and gloom from me - I suggested they could be Drinker moths.
                            https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1607687
                            Think we may have identified my moth.... The link below has a picture of the Adult Moth.

Knot Grass The Knot Grass moth and caterpillar Acronicta rumicis

we can't be sure about the grub, but quite a few of the moths lurking about, so a high chance it was one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X