Butterfly ID please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly ID please

Can anyone identify this butterfly I just saw and photographed in the garden. Initially my first thought this is a moth which has been disturbed but as I watched it - it was clearly feeding on flowers. Also as I can see it’s antenna are not clubbed so it must be a butterfly.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cheops; 03-09-2018, 10:48 AM.

‘It’s a day flying moth, can’t remember the name off hand.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

At first I thought it was an Underwing until I clicked o the photo and realised the pinky tinge was a flower petal - not a red underwing

Looks like a Silver Y moth to me
      Last edited by Gillykat; 03-09-2018, 12:35 PM.
      If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

It's a Silver Y moth

Comment

Thank you everyone. I learn something new everyday. I would never have believed there are day flying moths.

Comment

According to the butterfly conservation website, the caterpillar eats:

"A wide range of low-growing plants, including bedstraws (Galium*sp.), Clovers (Trifolium*sp.), Common Nettle (Urtica dioica), Garden Pea (Pisum sativum) and Cabbage (Brassica oleracea)."

Best get those peas and cabbages covered! It is a nice looking moth though, it's not just butterflies that are worth looking at.
            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I agree Babru - beauty can be found all around us. .
              Despite we are now into September I still am picking peas but I see no damage to the foliage.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X