Swarm collecting!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swarm collecting!

I collected my first swarm a few weeks ago, which I was very happy about after losing my (sole) colony over winter. They seem to be good natured bees, good size swarm, got right on with drawing comb and had eggs within a week. Managed to find the queen and mark her, then got a few pics last time I checked on 'em.

Feeling all excited and I seem to have got a good lucky dip!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3876.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	2406416

The day after I got 'em, someone messaged me on Facebook saying 'Hey don't you keep bees? There's a swarm in town, can you come get 'em?' It's like buses- you wait ages for one, then two show up at once... I hadn't even got them out of the nuc box into the hive, so had to pass and find someone else to get 'em.

Anyone else been swarm chasing this year?
    My spiffy new lottie blog

A swarm of bees is an amazing experience - I've caught a few over the years, but nothing so far this year.

Happy bee-keeping :-)

Comment

Well done hamamelis - that's a beautiful photo.

We used to collect swarms too. Such a thrill watching them marching up into their new home.

The last swarm I saw was in my front hedge several years after we'd stopped beekeeping. Although I had the means to catch it I had to find someone else to take it home.

Comment

Lovely pic, Hamamelis, nice looking queen. I've not seen any swarms yet this year, where last year I constantly had scouts around the spare parts in the garden.

There don't seem to be the quantity of bumble bees about either. Usually the clover on my lawn is a-buzz with bumbles, and the lavender too, which is just starting to flower, but so far I've only had solitary bees taking an interest.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X