stung into submission

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stung into submission

literally on the ear, before wearing a borrowed suit , I am thinking about bees and went to see a local bee club member
    holding my first frame up with hundreds of bees both sides fortunately all ignoring me going about their business ,then carefully putting the frame back in the hive was truly amazing saw every aspect of the hive or almost including the queen
    spent almost 4 hours discussing bees and hives
    I'm not hooked honestly I'm not , I really believe I can resist sortof , I'm just looking at hives just to see
    Last edited by Kier; 09-04-2017, 08:31 AM.

Go for it, Kier, you know you want to

Comment

Originally posted by Kier View Post
      literally on the ear, before wearing a borrowed suit , I am thinking about bees and went to see a local bee club member
      holding my first frame up with hundreds of bees both sides fortunately all ignoring me going about their business ,then carefully putting the frame back in the hive was truly amazing saw every aspect of the hive or almost including the queen
      I'm not hooked honestly I'm not , I really believe I can resist sortof , I'm just looking at hives just to see
      Least you know you are not allergic. I went on my course and when the tutor asked who had not been stung by a bee I was the only one to put my hand up. Least I knew I wouldn't be jabbing anyone with the shot Spent loads of time yesterday watching bees go in and out of the hive. Fingers crossed a swarm finds it soon. They are fascinating and even better when you get a tasty treat Oh and yes you def. want to keep bees

Edit: I don't know if it helps but my tutor recommended thornes - bees on a budget range for hives https://www.thorne.co.uk/hives-and-b...-a-budget-kits I thought £155 for a new cedar hive was brill.
      Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 09-04-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Beekeeping is seriously addictive..

If you are stung often enough##, eventually you build up resistance to bee venom. This does NOT mean stings do not hurt, it's just your flesh does not swell up with the poison...

## In my case 60-70 stings a year for three years (I do not use gloves)

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
          Least you know you are not allergic. I went on my course and when the tutor asked who had not been stung by a bee I was the only one to put my hand up. Least I knew I wouldn't be jabbing anyone with the shot Spent loads of time yesterday watching bees go in and out of the hive. Fingers crossed a swarm finds it soon. They are fascinating and even better when you get a tasty treat Oh and yes you def. want to keep bees

Edit: I don't know if it helps but my tutor recommended thornes - bees on a budget range for hives https://www.thorne.co.uk/hives-and-b...-a-budget-kits I thought £155 for a new cedar hive was brill.
          that's a very interesting link was just looking at a langstroth hive they are £115 with two supers and all frames in ceder
          I do wonder what thickness the timber is though

Comment

I had my first class last week.
            He-Pep!

Comment

that's a very interesting link was just looking at a langstroth hive they are £115 with two supers and all frames in ceder
              I had toyed with the idea of getting a couple of these - they will be fine. Just a different size from the nationals everything else I have is. Some bees are happier on bigger frames.

It is a seriously addictive hobby. Did just over 2 hours in a bee suit yesterday with a group of newbees.

Comment

Standard is 18mm 3/4 inch. And any other thickness will mean non compatibility with other of Thornes range.
                Last edited by Madasafish; 10-04-2017, 07:17 PM.

Comment

ok, I contacted the company from the link given and asked about the economy langstroth hive and they are cut with the same machine the only difference is the cedar is English not Canadian and may have a live solid knot or two but are otherwise the same thickness, on ebay second hand are Canadian cedar hives refurbed with two supers for £110 good condition , local to me
                  Last edited by Kier; 11-04-2017, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you're soon to bee happee!

Comment

I tried oh how I tried but, they are fascinating things , I now have 3last year bee colonies and hives and a large amount of bits inc a spinner /2 suits /2 nucs / feeders /50 jars/10 books etc
                      and they are all over my fruit trees already

Comment

Congratulations Kier - I'm sure you'll bee reaping the rewards very soon

Comment

ok, I contacted the company from the link given and asked about the economy langstroth hive and they are cut with the same machine the only difference is the cedar is English not Canadian and may have a live solid knot or two but are otherwise the same thickness, on ebay second hand are Canadian cedar hives refurbed with two supers for £110 good condition , local to me
                          If by 'refurbed' they mean unused equipment that was returned and repaired then you're probably okay. I'd recommend not buying used equipment. Diseases can harbor in used hives to the point the only choice is to burn.

Until you are experienced and know some reputable beekeepers really well I'd steer clear of used gear.

Also, being stuck on the ear is probably the absolute worst place to be stung or at least very close to the absolute worst place.
                          Last edited by DWSmith; 25-04-2017, 10:09 PM.
                          Nutter's Club member.

Comment

Originally posted by DWSmith View Post

Also, being stuck on the ear is probably the absolute worst place to be stung or at least very close to the absolute worst place.
                            I can say from personal painful experience that being stung on the septum - between both nostrils is a LOT worse. Tears to my eyes job for 30 minutes. As opposed to last week's sting on ear - 5 minutes pain.. (But I am now immune to all but multiple stings)

Comment

When it comes to stings please keep in mind that one can become deathly allergic at any time. I've kept bees for several years yet I keep epi pens around just in case of an allergic reaction to a sting. All of my reactions have been very minor so far but please be prepared.
                              Nutter's Club member.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X