No announcement yet.

What's attractive

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No bulbs, but very popular with bees and butterflies are the origanums, too, and if it hasn't been mentioned, hyssop (which also comes in white and pink, btw, though you may have to search for those rarer colours).
    If you like something higher, have a look at the cup plant, a good nectar source for all sorts of insects.
    Silphium perfoliatum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

I also grow flowers for beneficial insects including the allotment bees. Nigella, foxgloves, cornflowers, sweet peas, opium poppies, pot marigolds (which are still flowering now) and californian poppies. A nice mix of colours, especially the californian poppies which are always a surprise because they are self seeders and can be white, pink, pale yellow or orange. You only need to sow these seed once and they come up every year. Whats not to like!
      I also grow gladiola and the bees really love these, they have the added bonus of lasting a long time as the flowers on each individual spike dont open all together.

Comment

Grow phacelia as a green manure on unused ground when it flowers the bees love it
        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

You mean appart from female Bumble Bees im guessing ?

Comment

Hopefully Rob might pop back to see your suggestions but hasn't posted for over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
              Grow phacelia as a green manure on unused ground when it flowers the bees love it
              +1

Urban Pollinators: Phacelia tanacetifolia – a great plant for bees

My bees love it... and it has a lovely smell.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X