No announcement yet.

Bees and Horses...big problem??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By my allotment there are two things... a growing apiary and a livery stables. The apiary and allotments are both on the stables land.

I anticipate no trouble whatsoever, nor to the beekeeper or the stables owner.

Stuff and nonsense if you ask me.

Comment

I have heard of the 'bees don't like the smell of horses' thing, but it seems to be 'horsey smell around the hive' that bothers them (as in 'horsey-smelling human opening the hive)! The other notoriously 'bee annoying' smell is the dye used on traditional Indigo jeans.
      The book where I read all this also mentioned that some colours attract attacks (in the sense that if the bees are going to have a go, they will go for those colours first), black and bright red being high on the list. The story is told of a Dalmatian which got too close when a hive was opened, and all the stings were on his black spots. I'm not sure this isn't the same sort of story as 'the one that got away'.
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

On the bee course I took last year, the teacher also mentioned that bees and horses don't mix (quite emphatically). But I took him to mean that one shouldn't stick a beehive in a field with horses (as the horses might be able to get very close and problems might arise). I don't think he meant that you couldn't keep bees if there were horses in the general vicinity.
        Hill of Beans updated April 18th

Comment

Just heard back from the Allotment officer, who says she was told by the Southampton and District Beekeepers assoc that bees and horses are not to be kept in the same area..so I have emailed the association and asked them why...watch this space again....

I am allowed to keep chooks nicos...not anything bigger (or smaller as in the case of bees) aparently!
          Last edited by northepaul; 14-04-2011, 04:29 PM. Reason: forgot something...doh!!

Comment

"The assertion that bees and horses do not get on is a myth, perpetuated by ignorance. " from here: Bees and horses - British Beekeepers' Association Beekeeping Forum
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I was told my garden would be fine for hives (about 30-40 yards from the stables), but horses (or cows, dogs etc) right next to hives could cause problems as bees will defend the hive. But when opening or inspecting hives don't smell of horses (or perfume or beer etc)or they'll get the hump!
              I think your allotment officer may be taking it a bit far - hopefully the local beekeepers will sort him out!

Comment

Just had an email back from the local beekeepers assoc, but all it says is that they try to advice the council on an individual basis...I have replied asking if there is anyone I can speak to directly who would at least be able to clarify this seemingly drastic measure.

Comment

Just thought I'd mention my friend has a hive in her horse field, it's roped off so the horse can't scratch on it and knock it over, she's had no trouble with her horse and the bees. Also they don't seem bothered by her being a horsey person.

Comment

Thank you Vicky.
                    An update: I didnt have any joy with the local beekeeping assoc, who were very evasive when I asked if I could speak to someone in person.
                    I did have a chat with the head of the allotment assoc, who was really supportive and surprised to hear what I told him. He suggested I challenge the order. I also thought it might be worth asking the horse owners (if I see them) if they have any objection to me keeping bees...more strength to my case then.
                    The allotment assoc did point out that if there is even one objection from anyone on the site (which is really big) then I wouldnt be allowed to keep them anyway.....

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                      Thank you Vicky.
                      An update: I didnt have any joy with the local beekeeping assoc, who were very evasive when I asked if I could speak to someone in person.
                      I did have a chat with the head of the allotment assoc, who was really supportive and surprised to hear what I told him. He suggested I challenge the order. I also thought it might be worth asking the horse owners (if I see them) if they have any objection to me keeping bees...more strength to my case then.
                      The allotment assoc did point out that if there is even one objection from anyone on the site (which is really big) then I wouldnt be allowed to keep them anyway.....
                      Well, now, surely that works both ways, so if there is one objection against the horses they would have to go, yes?
                      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by vicky View Post
                        horses (or cows, dogs etc) right next to hives could cause problems as bees will defend the hive.
                        I heard this story in the week and thought it should be posted, although it is stressed that this was a freak accident: Four horses die after bee attack near Uckfield (From The Argus)
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Horses arent generally a problem, as long as they cant get near enough to the hives to knock them over, that seems to eb the reason for the horse that was stung to death, it used the hive to scratch on and knocked it over, the bees were upset by this and attacked, once one bee has stung the pheromones will cause any other bees in the area to also attack (which is why you always leave the apiary to deal with any stings and get rid of the smell (usually by smoking the area that was stung)

HTH
                          Blessings
                          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                            No idea.

10 ft from my lottie in one direction there is a field of horses and 20ft sideways there are a load of hives.
                            Neither seem bothered by the other in any way.

The only issue I ever have with the bees is when they swarm; I always think someone is strimming and then when a few whizz by my nose I look up, and see the swarm, shut up the shed and go home. I love bees but when they do swarm a few outlyers do tend to whip past you and I just don't want to be there when the whole swarm comes over my plot.
                            Next time you have swarm dont go home. Go to your shed close the door wait a few minutes then if you can follow them and wait till they settle trust me you will be fascinated

Comment

My pet hate with council allottments is no bees because they are livestock. they are not livesock they are polinating insects and ferral . Also every third mouthful of food we eat is pollinated by bees. most of the council officers that run allotments have no interest in gardening or bees and should be made to make some research into things before banning them on a fear basis`s.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X