No announcement yet.

Bee Board Survey- poll reopened

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the typo mistakes of my previous; I think I was tired and near cocoa time!
    As "gan heather" is assmbling a National then it will have "Bottom Bee Space" in 99% of hive kits.
    My reason for going on about Thornes is that their instructions are extremly poor e.g. where to put the runners. In their instructions the diagram for fixing the inner wall of the brood box is within a circle the size of a 20p piece hence the need for a magnifying glass.
    The frames must be level with the top of the brood box and ditto for supers hece the 7/16ths
    (or 10mm kindly provided by Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Hey bee folks.....the RAPE is in flower round by us!!!!!!!! scrambles for eek icons

Is that not a little early???

Comment

Yup, rape is starting to flower here too!

Did our inspection yesterday, Hive 1 has a problem, we didnt see the Queen, but there's nothing but Drone Brood in it! No eggs, no grubs and no more worker brood! Either the Queen has died (and a worker has started to lay unfertilised eggs - ie Drone) or the Queen has run out of semen and is now laying nothing but Drone! Either way the hive is in trouble.

We put 2 frames of worker brood and fresh eggs in, in the hopes that if its a Drone Laying Queen that they will use some of the eggs to superceed her and we will then have a new Queen, but if not then we may have to be a bit more drastic.

Have heard of a technique for sorting out where a worker has started to lay, which basically means tipping all the bees out of the hive a few hundred yards from the apiary, then putting a frame of fresh eggs (or even a queen cell) in, the idea is that the flying bees will return, but the drone laying worker wont be able to fly back, so will be removed, anyone else tried this?

PS Mods, where's the Bee Board!!!!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post

PS Mods, where's the Bee Board!!!!
          Yeh...that's what we're wondering too!!!!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

We seem to have bee posts all over the show now ....so please can we have just the one place........'our very own bee keeping section' it will help keep the vine tidy - honest!

Please please please.......or I may have to send in the 'girls'

Comment

We mods can't create new boards- it has to be Admin....* sits with baited breath!!!!!

Comment

Would that be the lovely Dave that I should address?

Comment

might be...might be.....

Comment

Oh Mrs D.... things can get very complex at times
                    Good luck with hive one. I had very similar problems last year with my hive two......talk about worry..... the queen was there but the colony was going into decline. I started to spend too much time looking in the hive to check, I had a chat with myself and said - let nature have a chance leave them alone they may well be able to sort this out themselves, if not I can assist if needs be. They made a tiny swarm and guess what.....I got a brand new queen who was the blue dot that has over wintered ok thus far. I asked my old bee keeping tutor what may have gone wrong - he thought she may have been poorly mated...bless her. Still all was well with hive two as of last week.
                    I hope to go in sometime in next few days, adding a super to each hive along the way.....RAPE! ...well not rape as in rape you understand, more as in the yellow stuff!

Comment

• ooooh ie Dave (HF waves hand in the air)

Please , please may we have a bee keeping section here on the vine?

Thank you

Comment

• Cooooeee Dave! Admin Dave, where are you? Your presence is needed to open the Bee Board forum! Come on Dave, get yer socks pulled up plz!

Otherwise I will have to send my 'girls' in along with HF, and we've got 300k of them!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

• Hey all! The section is live!

Comment

• Fab, thanks very much Dave!
                            Blessings
                            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

• Again.....many thanks Dave....lots of happy peps I am sure

Thank you!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X