Unexpected swarm

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected swarm

I have a poly nuc box that I use for carting brood frames to and from my hives which are in a field in the next village. On Friday I swapped out some old dirty combs for new ones and brought the old ones, which had some nectar and pollen in them, back in the nuc box. It was all closed up and I left it in the garden on top of some unused supers.

It was windy Friday night and Saturday, and I'd forgotten to weigh down the poly lid with a brick. Saturday afternoon when I went into the garden, the lid had blown off and there were lots of bees in and around the box. Well, I didn't mind them cleaning out the nectar for me as I was going to scrape out the comb anyway and someone else's hives were getting some easy honey.

I replaced the lid securely, and opened the entrance so bees inside could get out.

Sunday, 2.30 in the afternoon, suddenly the sky was full of bees, and in 15 minutes, they were all inside the box. Evidently the bees I thought were robbing were in actual fact a heck of a lot of scouts searching out a new home. They certainly decided fast, usually I see scouts for a week or two before they decide whether or not to move in.

Next time I want to catch some bees, I shall know to leave comb with nectar and pollen inside the box, and maybe the lid off too!
    Last edited by mothhawk; 13-06-2022, 03:27 PM.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Nice one! So what are you going to do with them now?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Took the swarm to my local beekeeping association. they can sell them to raise money for the assoc.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Someone’s going to be very chuffed with them….plus the association benefitting!….nice call MH .
        Last edited by Nicos; 20-06-2022, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Became a beekeeper this year, no honey as only had my colony a few weeks. Just saying hi.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Fantastic news seasprout. Do keep us updated!

Comment

Hi Seasprout good luck with your bees

Comment

All the best with your bees Seasprout.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse