No announcement yet.

Beetroot not so easy to grow ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sowed 3 varieties on 11th June. Cardeal, Pablo and Subeto(a trial packet from DT Brown). All sown with a view to getting some entries on the show bench so timing was quite important. I'm looking to get them somewhere between golf ball size and tennis ball. Nearer tennis ball preferable. Cricket ball size too big. I sowed them laboriously at 2" apart and thinned the Subeto yesterday by taking out every second beet most of which were getting on for 1" in diameter. My first show for these will be in the NVS Scottish Branch Championships at Dundee on 31st August(3 Day show) and then the NVS National championships at Harrogate (14th - 16th September). I'm hopeful they'll be a good size at Dundee but fear they may well be too big for Harrogate.

Anyway, more to the point, is how I have grown them. They are where my onions were last year.
    I put down approx 4ozs of growmore per square yard and dug the ground over in the springtime and then gave it the once over with my Mantis tiller before sowing. I sowed them in rows an inch deep and 18 inches apart having watered along the rows before sowing. They've been weeded and weeded again when needed. No water after sowing despite the drought and they have grown just fine from the middle of the plot where the row starts to three quarters of the way along where there has been very poor germination and growth where they did germinate. There was a path down that side before I got the plot and I'm blaming that.
    Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 07-08-2018, 07:42 PM.

Comment

My beetroot are looking quite well. They are planted close to a plum tree so presumably enjoying the shade and, no doubt, where they are growing isn't quite as dry as the rest of the plot.
      Certainly looking better than last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
        Have you manured the bed or used chicken pellets Betty123? You should avoid using them within 6 months of sowing and feed with BFB
        No I didn’t manure this bed or chicken pellet it the only thing I added was some home compost from composter.
        Maybe just this year .....?

Comment

My parsnips lol the same high leaves but think roots I’m hoping by the first frost they may have thickened out!

Comment

I think the same it was mayb too hot under the mesh!

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
              I sowed 3 varieties on 11th June. Cardeal, Pablo and Subeto(a trial packet from DT Brown). All sown with a view to getting some entries on the show bench so timing was quite important. I'm looking to get them somewhere between golf ball size and tennis ball. Nearer tennis ball preferable. Cricket ball size too big. I sowed them laboriously at 2" apart and thinned the Subeto yesterday by taking out every second beet most of which were getting on for 1" in diameter. My first show for these will be in the NVS Scottish Branch Championships at Dundee on 31st August(3 Day show) and then the NVS National championships at Harrogate (14th - 16th September). I'm hopeful they'll be a good size at Dundee but fear they may well be too big for Harrogate.

Anyway, more to the point, is how I have grown them. They are where my onions were last year.
              I put down approx 4ozs of growmore per square yard and dug the ground over in the springtime and then gave it the once over with my Mantis tiller before sowing. I sowed them in rows an inch deep and 18 inches apart having watered along the rows before sowing. They've been weeded and weeded again when needed. No water after sowing despite the drought and they have grown just fine from the middle of the plot where the row starts to three quarters of the way along where there has been very poor germination and growth where they did germinate. There was a path down that side before I got the plot and I'm blaming that.
              Wow brilliant mayb I’ve watered too much I’ve watered every day ?? Crumbs veggie growing is an art ... I wished I’d listernrf to my dear Dad a bit more

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-08-05 Beetroots.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	2379994

Harvest most of my first bed of beetroots

Name:	2018-08-05 Buckets Of Beetroots 01.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	2379990

Here is what's left

Name:	2018-08-07 Beetroots.jpg
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	2379991

And I've planted two more beds worth for harvesting in October

Name:	2018-08-04 Bed 10 Beetroot Cropped.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	2379992

This was the onion Bed now it has beetroots sown in it

Name:	2018-08-04 Bed 7 Beetroots.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	2379993

This ended up a vacant bed so I've sown another 105 Beetroots in the holes in the membrane
                Last edited by Cadalot; 08-08-2018, 08:06 AM.
                sigpic
                . .......Man Vs Slug
                Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                Nutters Club Member

Comment

Beetroot Planting Membrane

Name:	Beetroot Membrane Weed Sheet.jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	2379995
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                  Nutters Club Member

Comment

I grew bolthardy and a mixed (rainbow?) collection of seeds. The seeds were planted about 2" apart in May. I've been watering them every 2-3 days. The bolthardy have grown brilliantly. I've been getting one or two a-little-under-a-tennis-ball-sized ones every few days. In fact, I've stopped digging them out because my family seems to have tired of them.

I did pick a small one the other day, but that was by accident. I was pulling out a big'un and grabbed the leaves of a smaller one along with it.

I might have to dig them all out this weekend any way and just pickle them. So much for 'we LOVE beetroot, we can eat them ALL the time'.

Comment

I’ve heard Bolthardy mentioned over a few posts.
                      Could it actually be the seeds that have been corrupted due to over production?
                      I gave up on them last year and rely on the local grown stuff from the market.
                      However, Burpees Golden actually did quite well last year.
                      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty123 View Post
                        Wow brilliant mayb I’ve watered too much I’ve watered every day ?? Crumbs veggie growing is an art ... I wished I’d listernrf to my dear Dad a bit more
                        Here's a wee theory about the effect of possible overwatering. Bear in mind that most plants thrive best in damp as opposed to wet soil. Damp soil will remain aerated and the plant roots will be able to breath and enjoy their environment. Overwatering will result in the soil becoming waterlogged and devoid of air. The plant will struggle to survive let alone produce nice beetroot.

Comment

Plus 1 to what Abdereenplotter said regarding watering. When a baby plant/seedling first gets put into the ground the roots are small, so the amount of water it needs is minimal as the rootball will only be small and it just needs enough water to survive so that it can finds it's 'own feet' so to speak. As long as it can find air in the damp soil it's roots will reach out into these air pockets and grow. Everyday the plant does this for the first 4-8wks. You'll know by this point if it's working as the plant will visibly be growing. Sometimes we try to hard to care for our new seedlings and in effect drown them in kindness. It's a fine line between letting a plant get on with it naturally and smothering it in kindness.

However this year has been an exception! to say the least !!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X