No announcement yet.

Poor veg so far

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My tomatoes are the best I've ever had - I think I will actually have them ripening on the vine, which is not a given where I am!

Potatoes excellent, but I did water at key moments.

Courgettes oddly slow - they're fruiting, but they're not exactly pumping them out.

Beans slower, but coming along - they were slow because it was so cold so late they were late going in.

Zinnias, which I wasn't sure would flower, are stunning.

Sweet peas are the best I've ever had, as are lettuces, bizarrely.

The brassicas look strong and sturdy, leeks doing better than usual, parsnips slow but okay and onions out of this world.

I was saying to someone last night that almost everything in the garden is doing exactly what I wanted it to, which is a very rare occurrence!

Comment

Mine's been hit and miss- the mangetout have been the best I've ever had; from one little strip, maybe 60cm across a bed, I'm giving them away, and I've never had such good cucumbers from an outdoor plant. The onions are looking remarkably good, considering I forgot to plant the sets, so they went in very late and already sprouting, but the garlic, despite having good thick stems and dying back like normal, has barely a swelling, forget a bulb.

My potatoes have been a total wash out, the first complete failure I've ever had. A few spuds the size of marbles, and the plants have all gradually given up the ghost. My sole surviving courgette has produced one courgette so far, and isn't rushing to produce any more- and that's been watered regularly. I've had no salad leaves to speak of, and both carrots and parsnips were complete failures.

I had to direct sow the runner beans, so they're a bit late, but I'm waiting with interest. The climbing Frenchies aren't climbing, they're just sitting there, 10cm high and sulking.

It's a new site to me, so I have no idea what's the site and what's the weather, but it's all rather confusing, really.
      My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

I lifted a root of spuds today to see whats going on and it aint! lost onions and garlic to white rot ! apart from that everything else seems to be going ok ! broad bean harvested and dug up, sugar snaps ,chillies, toms outside doing better than GH, gourgetts ,french climb beans ,outdoor cukes, Carly I think i'm turning into one of your gourgetts going yellow and wrinkley on one end LOL atb Dal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X