New total = 10

Comment

Updating my list.

courgette 'Romanesco' - 1 +1 =2
      courgette di nizza - 1
      Cucumber tasty green - 1
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Just harvested my first 2, all green bush courgettes.

They got toba certain size and just seemed to stop growing as has all the smaller ones. Is there a reason for this?

Comment

As soon as I see a 2nd courgettes forming and the 1st one is big enough to eat, I cut it.

Picked another 5 today

My totals to date:-

Courgettes - 46 + 5 = 51

Cucumbers 21 + 3 = 24

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot View Post
            Just harvested my first 2, all green bush courgettes.

They got toba certain size and just seemed to stop growing as has all the smaller ones. Is there a reason for this?
            Good question (one that bothers me a lot too).
            Some courgette grow to a full size and some don't (even with good hand pollination).
            Last year I had two plants. A standard courgette which did reasonably well, all pollinated courgettes grew to a decent size. A second plant was patio star and that one didn't produce one single courgette bigger than 10cm long, 2cm thick. It did produce lot of these tiny ones but they are worthless for cooking so I pickled them like cucumbers instead. I won't grow this variety again.
            2 years ago I grew orelia (yellow courgette). Same story, no full size courgettes. This year, I am giving it second chance and again, the 1st pollinated courgette seems like getting soft and being discarded.
            On my tromba, first two trombas are also going soft (probably because of lack of watering, I was away for few days). 3rd and 4th trombas look ok, firm and growing.
            My tondo (round) courgette behaves well but usually doesn't want to support two courgettes at the same time. 1st started to grow, then 2nd took its place and the 1st one stopped growing. I harvested them at 465g (2nd one) and 103g (1st one). At the moment there are two pollinated and third one going to flower soon.
            At the moment all is well wattered, fed a lookig happy. So I am waiting.It could be irregular watering or feeding or less than perfect pollination, who knows.
            I would love to understand it but I don't.

Comment

Mine haven't been watered at all or been fed. A sprinkle of chicken manure pellets in the hole when they were planted and that's the end of their TLC.
              As I said above, I cut the largest courgette when I see another one growing, as long as its a usable size. This seems to keep them producing.

The first 3 plants were sown 20th January and are old seeds of "Zucchini". Nothing special - free seeds with a magazine that I didn't mind taking a gamble on. Amazingly, its worked and I will try an early sowing again next year.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^So good she said it twice
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Well the mini munch cumbers are once more a roaring success. Averaging 4 a day anyone who comes near me gets a cumber stuck in their pocket....
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                    ^^^^^^^^^^So good she said it twice
                    The Vine had a hiccup.

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                    Well the mini munch cumbers are once more a roaring success. Averaging 4 a day anyone who comes near me gets a cumber stuck in their pocket....
                    No comment - for fear of being banned.

Comment

I've got about 30 plants, 8 varieties. Picked the first ones yesterday, all small..If they get shop sized, they're on the heap. First pick, not bad, 20. I only water once a week, otherwise there'd be hundreds of them!

Comment

My count is 5 cucumbers and 1 massive courgette the size of a bazooka

Comment

I've eaten a few courgettes, but cucumbers are cropping like mad, I've given some spares away to neighbours today They'll soon be hiding LOL

Comment

Courgettes - 51 + 4 = 55

Cucumbers 24 + 2 = 26

Spotted some Yellow Crookneck squashes coming on. First time growing these and I think you're supposed to eat them like courgettes. It'll make a nice change - yellow bent ones instead of green straight ones.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post

Courgettes - 51 + 4 = 55

Cucumbers 24 + 2 = 26

Spotted some Yellow Crookneck squashes coming on. First time growing these and I think you're supposed to eat them like courgettes. It'll make a nice change - yellow bent ones instead of green straight ones.
                              Are they any different once you've cooked them

Comment

No idea but they'll be yellow - so that's different.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X