No announcement yet.

The versatile Broad bean!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mine went in about a month-ish ago. They are growing, but I guess they will slow down now.
    I planted some field beans last weekend, but I doubt they'll germinate with the frosts we've just had

Comment

Not sure what happened but I forgot to sow any broad beans in the autumn.

Never mind, I have a spring plan!! Direct sow a handful of beans in lots of odd spots around the garden. Fill up some gaps with beans, enjoy their flowers and later, the beans.
      Might start tomorrow, once I've found my seeds.

Comment

Found my seeds and there's almost an Alphabet. With a little bit of name adjusting (like Robin Hood became Hood Robin) I'm only missing D, J, O, P, Q, U, V, X, Y, Z.
        I have some saved, nameless seeds so they can fill in the missing letters and lots of Wizard beans if I don't have enough.
        Tomorrow, I'll sow an Alphabet of Broad beans to match the Alphabetical beds that you probably thought I'd forgotten about.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Found my seeds and there's almost an Alphabet. With a little bit of name adjusting (like Robin Hood became Hood Robin) I'm only missing D, J, O, P, Q, U, V, X, Y, Z.
          I have some saved, nameless seeds so they can fill in the missing letters and lots of Wizard beans if I don't have enough.
          Tomorrow, I'll sow an Alphabet of Broad beans to match the Alphabetical beds that you probably thought I'd forgotten about.
          I sowed Aquadulce and the Sutton in Autumn. Two 15 foot rows of each. Out of this I have got one lonely Sutton bean.
          Looks like I will need to spring sow, probably in modules first.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Haha I read through the page and was ??? was I planning to overwinter broad beans? Anyway my wizard beans are currently germinating in loo rolls...

Comment

Sowed mine indoors in loo rolls middle of Feb and planted them out a week ago.I chitted them first but only because I wanted to try it out and didn't have much else going on at the time.
              Bunyards Exhibition, Jubilee Hyser and some saved ones of long lost pedigree.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Direct sow a handful of beans in lots of odd spots around the garden. Fill up some gaps with beans, enjoy their flowers and later, the beans.
                Those crimson ones are pretty pity the flowers don't seem to last long.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Robin Hood Robin Hood riding through the glen .........sorry wrong memory moment.
                  As you may have guessed I grow Robin Hood as it’s compact size suits my lack of space. I’ve found that it has more pods than the Sutton but that could be because of my conditions.
                  I only have 12 plants at the moment but will shove another 12 in eventually.
                  Small in stature and for me big in taste. I like them any which way - normally raw straight from the pod.
                  I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I sowed some Aquadulce Claudia directly into a couple of raised beds in mid October. They're doing very well, quite a few flowers already.

There are quite a few gaps, I wish I'd sowed extra in pots to be able to fill them. I think it's a bit late now as I'm hoping to have them out in time to plant sweetcorn in one bed and a few brassicas in the other - I have pretty limited space.

Didn't work too well last year as everything was so late, and I ended up having to plant sweetcorn amongst the beans for a while, but everything is so early this year I think it'll be ok.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X