No announcement yet.

The versatile Broad bean!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds about right, Sylvan. Just measured my handspan = 8" (an octave).

Comment

Thanks. I'll stick with that then
      The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

I’ve got lots of flowers on mine, but they don’t seem to be turning into beans �� all that’s left is a spiky bit no baby beans at all....the flowers have been slowing dying back for about 2 weeks now...but not a bean in sight.....never grown them before so clueless as to what’s going on....I did spray the plants about four weeks ago with garlic spray to discourage the ants off them..so don’t know if that’s the problem.

Comment

Could you post a photo please ? - something seems wrong, but I'm not sure what.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	473D78C1-A6CE-489D-8372-A8D6E364BCD0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2378297Click image for larger version

Name:	473D78C1-A6CE-489D-8372-A8D6E364BCD0.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2378297Nick this is the best shot I can get of them..I see a little buzzy friend on them ..but if you look you can just make out there’s only spikes being left when the flowers die back Click image for larger version

Name:	89E97549-AB87-45B9-B6F7-4369EAAE6356.jpg
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	2378296Click image for larger version

Name:	89E97549-AB87-45B9-B6F7-4369EAAE6356.jpg
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	2378296
            Last edited by Sheilakins; 17-05-2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Hi, I can't see the "spikes"? Blame it on my eyes.
              Could they be the baby beans?
              To be honest, I wouldn't worry as you have lots of flowers and bees and its still early for beans. I don't have any forming yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheilakins View Post
                Nick this is the best shot I can get of them..I see a little buzzy friend on them ..but if you look you can just make out there’s only spikes being left when the flowers die back
                Hi Sheila,
                well first up the plants look v healthy, and as VC says lots of flowers. Its not unusual for quite a few bean flowers not to get pollinated, but I have some at roughly the same stage as yours and mine do have a few tiny pods on where the flowers petals have fallen off.

I'm a bit concerned about the honey bee on the flowers - these bees can't get at the nectar normally, as their tongues are too short. Sometimes the bumbles get clever and nip small holes right at the back of the flowers so they can access the nectar easily and if this happens obviously no pollination will take place. Have a v good look where the back of the flowers attach to the plant on the tops, and if you can see a little hole, that'll be the problem. Or watch as a bee visits the flowers, and see what they do.

Happy gardening :-) Nick
                Last edited by veggiechicken; 30-10-2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Hi, I can't see the "spikes"? Blame it on my eyes.
                  Could they be the baby beans?
                  To be honest, I wouldn't worry as you have lots of flowers and bees and its still early for beans. I don't have any forming yet.
                  They’re deffo there Veggie...I just can’t get a good enough shot of them...but I’m keeping my fingers crossed for some beans at some point ��

Comment

Oooooohhhh on closer inspection I think I see a couple of baby beans appearing Click image for larger version

Name:	C1977876-F982-4808-A1AC-2809025B3B9B.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	2378302

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                      Hi Sheila,
                      well first up the plants look v healthy, and as VC says lots of flowers. Its not unusual for quite a few bean flowers not to get pollinated, but I have some at roughly the same stage as yours and mine do have a few tiny pods on where the flowers petals have fallen off.

I'm a bit concerned about the honey bee on the flowers - these bees can't get at the nectar normally, as their tongues are too short. Sometimes the bumbles get clever and nip small holes right at the back of the flowers so they can access the nectar easily and if this happens obviously no pollination will take place. Have a v good look where the back of the flowers attach to the plant on the tops, and if you can see a little hole, that'll be the problem. Or watch as a bee visits the flowers, and see what they do.

Just went to take a closer look at the back of the flower like you said Nick and I think I’ve spotted to teeny tiny beans forming ...posted a picture.

Comment

good news then :-)

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                          Hi Sheila,

Just went to take a closer look at the back of the flower like you said Nick and I think I’ve spotted to teeny tiny beans forming ...posted a picture.

Comment

I think your ‘spikes’ will grow into beans!
                            They’re sooo much better than mine which are wee stumpy pathetic plants which I think didn’t like the snow this year.
                            Thinking of planting some crimson flowered ones in the flower beds next year.

Comment

My lower leaves are turning yellow. Is this a sign of the broad bean apocalypse?

The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
                                My lower leaves are turning yellow. Is this a sign of the broad bean apocalypse?

iv'e got the same thing on mine ! i'll try a bit of feed on monday ,does any one have any recomendations please ? atb Dal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X