No announcement yet.

Panic! Now what?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The willow den has emerged as the priority! Collected these beauties from a woodsman/basket weaver old friend who also supplied my Hazel bean poles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180420_124349-1560x2080.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	2377383

We've laid out a rough base and if the rain holds off enough tomorrow we'll try and get the main framework up.

Name:	IMG_20180420_184834-1560x2080.jpg
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	2377384

Comment

Comment

Looking good. Definitely no need for panic

Comment

As an aside regarding your potato varieties, looks like going for blight resistance. I was very impressed last year with Carolus. Grew well and cooks well boiled/roast/wedges and mash. Tried Sarpo mira and axona previously, they grew well but the Axona were mainly hollow centred and I was very disappointed with both in the kitchen.

Comment

Thanks Mark, good to know. I had a few hollow hearted blue danube, and although they tended to fall apart in cooking the flavour was good and they were excellent in dauphinoise. They really made the grade for me, though, by storing well and not seeming to succumb to slug, when I lost a lot of the Albert Bartlett Rooster harvest to the blighters. I haven't tried the Axona before.

Comment

We've had the most fun today...

I took the boys down to the plot in shifts, 4yo in the morning, 7yo in the afternoon. In the morning, we laid out some rope in a circle, made holes for the key uprights of willow and pushed them in. Then we put in two minor uprights between each major one, following the line of the circle.

Name:	Den 1.jpg
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	2377419

Name:	Den 2.jpg
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	2377420

In the afternoon we added the secondary willow withies and tied them over and down, and weaved them in. Then we created a tunnel entrance, two 'windows' and tidied up the weed matting that makes the floor.

Name:	Den 3.jpg
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	2377421

Then the 7yo and I sat inside, indulging ourselves by peeling a willow twig.

I have to recommend this activity, folks, it was VERY soothing and absorbing.

And the site manager came by and was very impressed...

Comment

I am very impressed too! Well done! It looks lovely
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

a wigloo!

Comment

A bit of progress : two of four raised beds made (two are going to be stacked for a deeper bed) and membrane down.

Name:	IMG_20180508_121336-1560x2080.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	2378190

Name:	IMG_20180508_125019-2080x1560.jpg
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	2378191

Comment

Name:	IMG_20180510_073211-1560x2080.jpg
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	2378192

Name:	IMG_20180510_073227-1560x2080.jpg
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	2378193

Comment

The plan is to cut out the membrane inside the raised bed, but first I need to buy a lighter to melt and seal the edges...

Comment

Well done 1Bee.
                          In only 3 weeks you've gone from Panic to Looking Good.

Comment

It's a good job I didn't do the panning shot of the rest of the new half...

Thank you. I've got the timber to cut for the other two raised beds and I'm hunting down some woodchip to cover the membrane. Then apart from digging some holes here and there for sunflowers and maybe some other flowers, that's it for cultivating on the new patch. It'll just be keeping it under control and letting the kids play for the rest of the season. And maybe digging a mud wallow.

As you do.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
                              The plan is to cut out the membrane inside the raised bed, but first I need to buy a lighter to melt and seal the edges...
                              You could keep the bit you cut out to cover the bed in winter, over a mulch.

Comment

Looking great 1Bee.
                                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X