No announcement yet.

Tomato varieties - case for the prosecution

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone I've spoken to says it's been a poor year for tomatoes. (Anna Pavord, writing in The Independent, says she burnt all hers in July because of blight.) Mine mostly have few fruit and are taking their time over ripening - I grow a few plants in a hanging basket, the rest in 30cm pots in a very sunny spot by the front door. I do tend to be lazy - start the year full of good intentions, but stop taking care of things. I don't like side-shooting them, or stopping them - I've had to harden my heart to the thought it's not nice to the tomato! I've had some blighted leaves, and one fruit, but have just picked these off, and the plants seem to be okay, though how far they'll get before the first frosts, I don't know. I may move them indoors to ripen, but the canes are too tall for the windowsill! As for varieties, I found Gartenperle very tasty last year, but nearly let the seedlings die this time, so may not get anything.
    If your tomatoes won't ripen, stick a shop-bought one in among them to give them the idea!

Comment

This year I grew all heritage varieties. 'Salt Spring Sunrise' was an unruly grower and succumbed early to blight, both outside and in the tunnel.

'Belgian Giant', a very early beefsteak variety has done well, although you need sharp scissors to get the fruit off the vine. 'Cavendish' is a later variety, lovely sweet fruit. Both of these were grown in the tunnel and had blight too, but I removed all the foliage at the first signs and they have continued to crop well. I shan't bother with 'Salt Spring' again however.

Of all of these, 'Cavendish' is the one I shall certainyl grow again.

All of the seed came from HDRA (Garden Organic)
      Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Hi Cutecumber
        I just had to join the debate as I enjoy tomatoes firstly for their flavour.
        I had many problems with blight in my tunnel. Both Gardeners delight died and the sungold suffered badly.
        The ribbed italian beefsteak variety called costolutto genovese was my banker for a great savoury salad type but it was a let down.
        Of the 16 types I grew LEGEND was the best. The flavour was superb, beefsteak in size and fully blight resistant. The plant did not get too big but it crops well.
        Brandywine also has a great taste. I shall be selective with my choice next year. Its more fun experimenting with varieties. Its a thumbs down for moneymaker etc.

Comment

Leona and Dianah Gale,
          I can let you have some Galina, it is a very yellow cherry, fruit hangs on the vine and it doesn't suffer from splits as did my Gardeners Delight and Red Berry.
          It is not to my taste but other people like it. Not too sweet.

Phreddy

Phreddy

Comment

My first attempt ...

Hi folks

Bear with me ... this is my first ever posting on a message board. Technophobe ... who me? ... surely not?

I've been inspired to attempt this 'Internet-communication thingy' by your thread on tomato varieties having had an exciting year growing 15 weird and wonderful types from a variety of places (but do visit the Plants of Distinction website for an amazing of heritage varieties).

I've got to recommend a hanging basket type called "Silvery Fir Tree" - it's an absolute beauty. A heavy early cropper that's sort of like a mini beefsteak (or is that an oxymoron?) but it has the most wonderful ornamental foliage so it's REALLY pretty as well.

I've also done well with Stupice, Slankards, Legend and with Ferline.

Shame ALL of my outdoor tomatoe got blighted or I could have had a really good crop.

Thanks for reading

T-lady
            Cheers

T-lady

Comment

This is the first year I have grown my own veg, and I have around 20 gardeners delight toms, but I am really confused as most plants have been giving me quite large tomatoes, and I thought the variety were a cherry tom? Some of the larger ones are nearly as large as the beefsteak ones you see in the supermarket! I have had a handful of toms with blight, but I destroyed all signs and the disease seems to have stopped, I think I am one of the lucky ones! I made a huge pan of tomato soup for dinner last night and it was so great I am going to finish it off tonight!

Comment

T-lady - welcome. It's been one hell of a year for our poor tomatoes. Those of us with any feel very lucky (ok, and a wee bit smug, perhaps!)

Naomi - you're right, gardeners' delight should be fairly small. They're not tiny, but they are certainly not as big as even a standard tomato. How strange.

Comment

Naomi, they are not GD. I have them and they have grown abundently though of a proper cherry size. Would you like some real GD seed?

Phreddy

Comment

I lost Brandywine and Sophie's Choice tomatoes outdoors but Shirley and Golden Sunrise survived in the greenhouse.

OH loves Shirley tomatoes and says they are deffo the best ever. Golden Sunrise are yellow and if you leave them get really ripe he says they are quite sweet and tasty. I don't eat tomatoes so only grow for him. Current request is 'Shirley only next year please' though I will probably try the Brandywine and Sophie's Choice again but keep them indoors.
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

Out of interest, how many plants does everyone grow?

(and for how many people/ what uses?)

Comment

hi Phreddy, you are probably right in that they arent GD (but it definately says so on the packet!) They were in a pack with ceramic pot from Woolworths, I wouldnt mind finding out what they are because they are lovely! I will pass on the seed for the moment (but thank you very much for the offer) as I dont know what space I will have next year in my garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                          Out of interest, how many plants does everyone grow?

(and for how many people/ what uses?)

Too many

There are only two of us but I've got 14 tomato plants on the go

Comment

Originally posted by SMS6 View Post
                            Too many

There are only two of us but I've got 14 tomato plants on the go
                            There's just the two of us as well and I've got 29 plants going in the greenhouse and had planted approx 15 in the garden but (unfortunately??? the outdoor one got blighted.

Mind you, I feel a bit short of tomatoes this year - perhaps the weather hasn't helped?

Tc
                            Cheers

T-lady

Comment

I did 31...

why? I got carried away.

I think I'm going off tomatoes.

Comment

7 in the greenhouse + outside there are 3 in hanging baskets, 1 in a tub and 5 in the garden. There are two of us and they're now all fruiting. Will be making pasta sauces this weekend for freezing!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X