Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greenhouse HELP (sort of urgent!) please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emarisa28 View Post
    ok thanks, i actually have some think alluminium strips so was thinking to wedge those inbetween rather than mess around cutting up wood - as i am sure i would mess that up!
    OK got ya - are you planning on folding the aluminum up or layering it somehow to get the different thicknesses ?

(I tend to think wood as I have loads around, use it all the time and its v flexible when you're trying to adjust stuff )

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
      OK got ya - are you planning on folding the aluminum up or layering it somehow to get the different thicknesses ?

(I tend to think wood as I have loads around, use it all the time and its v flexible when you're trying to adjust stuff )
      Well, i was going to cut it down into 5cm bits and stack them up with lower stacks going along. That is if its not low
      Or, i was thinking to unscrew the plinth from the concreted leg, add another hole to the plinth and rescrew the hole. But that may not work as it may be too hard
      The difference in the glass is around 0.50cm so i am hoping there is not much in it?

Comment

That should do it - don't forget you may need some longer screws. Also a bit of glue or something similar to keep your aluminum stacks in place pro tem so you don't need 3 hands might help.

good luck - Nick

Comment

Putting glass in one side could have twisted the frame a bit, I would remove all the glass, check the levels and then add glass evenly rather all in one area.

Comment

If poss, lift the dropped corner so you are happy that it is square, then fill the gap with expanding foam. Much easier IMO.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by emarisa28 View Post
              Thanks for the link. Its not a method I've seen before.
              Just looked back at your first thread about GHs https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ses_92895.html
              Was it OK to use cement on your plot after all?

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                Putting glass in one side could have twisted the frame a bit, I would remove all the glass, check the levels and then add glass evenly rather all in one area.
                Would agree.
                Provided the Base is square and then all the Walls are square to the base, then the base does not have to be level. it needs a slight slop to allow water to run off gutters. Also check the wall are square to each other (corners at gutter level) just in case there is a twist

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                  THANK YOU that is a fantastic suggestion! I went there yesterday, used the 6ft level and realised the base was fully level and straight. As the level was too long to accurately check the wall panels i was going to go back today with a smaller one. But it did baffle me that the base was straight and so how could the roof be wonky. I would have never thought of that. Fingers crossed!!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Thanks for the link. Its not a method I've seen before.
                    Just looked back at your first thread about GHs https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ses_92895.html
                    Was it OK to use cement on your plot after all?
                    Hey Veggiechicken
                    They were ok with it being in the corners only. Their reasoning being that if i left someone could move the 4 corners of concrete (would be alot harder if the whole perimetre was concrete)
                    What i did was cut off the bottoms of tomato pots, put those in, then the legs and then the concrete. This contained it
                    TBH i think we dont really need it hear in London on flat land, but i didnt want my first GH to fly away like Mary Poppins!

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                      Would agree.
                      Provided the Base is square and then all the Walls are square to the base, then the base does not have to be level. it needs a slight slop to allow water to run off gutters. Also check the wall are square to each other (corners at gutter level) just in case there is a twist
                      Do you think that just the glass on the bottom part of the roof would be enough to twist it (thats 4 panes in total?)

Comment

Hard to know - if its twisting due to weight which is the issue, could you temporarily clamp some cross pieces at say 45 degrees to the glazing bars so that the whole thing is a bit more rigid, while you get the panes fitted ?

Comment

Having had problems fitting last row of glass when erecting my GH Burnie's idea makes lot of sense.

Did you check levels diagonally?
                          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
                            Having had problems fitting last row of glass when erecting my GH Burnie's idea makes lot of sense.

Did you check levels diagonally?
                            This isnt last row of glass, one side of the roof has bottom set of panes only, now im trying to fir panes on other side it seems there is a tilt somewhere. Yes checked levels diagonally xx

Comment

How are you Glazing it?

I had assumed that you would Glaze the Walls and then the roof. The Glass in the walls adding to the rigidity of the structure.

From sounds of it the opposite side is not square to the base. Check with 3,4,5 Triangle.

Why not verify each corner is square by fitting a pane of glass.

i.e. Bottom front Left Wall & Side, then Top Left Roof. Front Right, then the rear

Could try loosening the nuts to give bit of movement
                              Last edited by 4Shoes; 17-04-2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                                How are you Glazing it?

I had assumed that you would Glaze the Walls and then the roof. The Glass in the walls adding to the rigidity of the structure.
                                Yup i agree with that, however as i am doing it on my own it was safer to do the roof first rather than wobble and fall in the side with glass in. You have no idea how accident prone i am x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X