No announcement yet.

Pathetic beetroot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well professional grower or not I would think by following Charles Dowdey to the letter you would get similar results. A bit like following a recipe in a book. Anyway, back from a 2 day break and some of the seedlings have gone thin, whispy and wilty. Can’t be damping off as I used fresh compost, brand new module tray and watered from below.

Comment

Probably cooked Marb

Comment

There are so many variables that there are no perfect recipes for growing veg. I'd think it's the cold and murky weather (lack of light) that has slowed things down, if it's not slugs that have eaten the seedlings. Just sow more and don't take the first sowing's lack of success personally
        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I sowed mine in identical cells and kept them in the greenhouse. The vast majority have germinated?

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
            I tend to use the gutter method.

This year going to put a string in bottom of 1.2m gutter. Theory is that lifting string and seedlings will slip down gutter easier. Do same for peas.

Not tried modules, but perhaps now is a time to give it a go. Think an experiment is called for

1.2m gutter. 1.2m Modules (or wee pots), 2.4m line beet.... If I remember
            Just sown Detroit on Pots and Bolt Hardy in gutter.... 2 weeks or so before I can sow beet outside

Comment

For some reason gutter seeds didn't germinate.

Experiment over. Pots win

Comment

Thought I would let you know that this year I have sown some new seed (T@M) bolthardy and they all came up healthy and now planted in soil. I am growing in clusters ike Charles Downey as I am limited for space. Will thin out as I pull the smaller ones when they start to swell (hopefully) They are netted which seems to be keeping the leaf minor and slugs off them (except the odd emerging from soil flys that I kill on sight that are caught in the net)

Is there anything I should feed them with apart from BFB ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180528_16_50_07_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	2378475

Comment

I'm growing bolthardy as well! I direct-sowed the seeds outside and surprisingly, got a 100% germination rate. Unfortunately, I had (completely by accident!) sown a few doubles. Had to separate them, and move them over. I'm also working with limited space, so the refugees are now encroaching into cabbage space :|

I didn't do cluster planting, although my lazy soul does like the sound of that. I just figured each plant would need about 4" or so, so planted seeds 2" apart

I haven't even thought about what I'll be feeding them, but I guess BFB sounds about right. I also have egg shells that I blitzed into powder and put in a spice sprinkler bottle. I wonder if neighbours are thinking why I am salting my soil :P

Comment

Showed bolt hardy last year and had great results so trying that again along with some I got free - Subeto? I think. Don’t know what’s different this year but I can’t get them going. Snowed outside in the beds and only a few came through and also started in the greenhouse/ cold frame and they are taking ages and some are now wilting. Just resowed outside but a bit disappointing.

Comment

I sowed a row in mid April but no show. Resowed early May and some have appeared, but patchy. May sowing was from brand new seed , April was last years.

Same time sowed carrot but virtually none have appeared from either sowing. Some were brand new seeds.

Jimmy
                      Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Can you transplant beetroot thinings ?
                        Jimmy
                        Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                          Can you transplant beetroot thinings ?
                          Jimmy
                          Not quite sure if it's recommended or not, but I did.

I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread that I had direct-sowed beetroot and had accidentally put 2 seeds together in some of the holes. Bolthardy had a 100% germination rate (the rainbow collection was a bit lower, but bolthardy did great).

I had about 4 out of the 16 with double seedlings. I dug them out carefully and spaced them out. They *seem* to be doing okay, but I don't know if it will affect the root growth later.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X