Dud seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is interesting.

Being my first year, I've purchased a load of brand new seeds, with there being a mix of Sutton, T&M Mr. Fothergills and cheap packs from various places.

By far the worse for anything at all germinating has been the T&M. I have some Sutton seed Indigo Rose tomatoes that haven't produced anything in 10 days, but I'll have to leave them and see as I won't know if that's something I've done wrong.

I've a batch of premier seeds off ebay going in tomorrow so will see how they do.

Comment

I have seeds from 16 different companies. As VC said, T&M are the only ones without dates on the packets.
      It does make you wonder...

I gave up on them years ago on account of terrible germination rates.
      The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

I would expect that somewhere like T&M (never bought anything from them) simply subcontract "their" seeds to someone else. Who put seeds in a packet printed up as "T&M".

Along similar lines quite a few years back I drove past a compost producer, North of Huntingdon if I recall, no specific company just J Bloggs Compost Manufacturer in effect. Queued up at 4 loading bays along the building were 4 different lorries all with different but recognised names on the lorries.

Seemed obvious that they all really used the same stuff and same place, but it was bagged accordingly. Same I guess with seeds. So then comes the "maximise profit" bit for the packager, but they will have a fixed price with T&M and who ever else they supply, so the way to do that is buy them cheap.

Comment

I bought some T&M seeds this year for the first time in I don't know how long. I nearly didn't but really fancied a variety of broccoli that was recommended to me... I ordered a few other things too. Dispatch was really quick and the packets do have packed and sow-by dates. No idea about germination as yet. Still strike me as quite expensive compared to other places.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenowhere View Post
            Frankly I’ve found Wilko seeds as good as the brands for germination and well priced (read cheap which is a bonus when just starting out).

More limited on varieties but unless you are looking for heritage varieties then have okay choice and some F1’s.
            Wilkinson seeds are Mr Fothergills in Wilkos branding. 👍
            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

The need for seed.

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
              I would expect that somewhere like T&M (never bought anything from them) simply subcontract "their" seeds to someone else. Who put seeds in a packet printed up as "T&M".

Along similar lines quite a few years back I drove past a compost producer, North of Huntingdon if I recall, no specific company just J Bloggs Compost Manufacturer in effect. Queued up at 4 loading bays along the building were 4 different lorries all with different but recognised names on the lorries.

Seemed obvious that they all really used the same stuff and same place, but it was bagged accordingly. Same I guess with seeds. So then comes the "maximise profit" bit for the packager, but they will have a fixed price with T&M and who ever else they supply, so the way to do that is buy them cheap.
              Most of the ‘big’ seed companies buy seeds in bulk from all over the world. Used to be British Seed Houses, (I Think), but someone has bought them out, I think there are only a few independent growers & suppliers left now.

Incidentally today I opened a packet of Sweetcorn Lark F1 from T&M, and found 2 foil packets inside full,of seeds. Thankyou very much. I needed lots.
              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Didn't know that! Thanks seasprout.

Does anyone know whether there is a legal requirement to show packed/use by dates on seed packets? I've been goggling but haven't found an answer yet.

Comment

Don't know about the legal requirements VC but it just makes me more determined to save and stop my own seeds with other like minded people,

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                    Incidentally today I opened a packet of Sweetcorn Lark F1 from T&M, and found 2 foil packets inside full,of seeds. Thankyou very much. I needed lots.
                    I opened the same packet this week. On the outside it says "Average 30 seeds", the first foil packet had 18 seeds in, enough for me this year if most of them germinate. The rest should keep till next year in the unopened packet. Anyway, I think it's deliberate; maybe they can't fit 30 into one foil packet.
                    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                      Most of the ‘big’ seed companies buy seeds in bulk from all over the world. Used to be British Seed Houses, (I Think), but someone has bought them out, I think there are only a few independent growers & suppliers left now.
                      I think that's right. I've always assumed the seed suppliers are mainly buying in bulk, and just doing the packaging and retailing. I'd guess they are buying from big companies like Tozer.

You can see the Tozer range here: https://www.tozerseeds.com/uk/seed-range

Comment

If you click on "Buy" on the Tozer page it sends you to Kings Seeds!!
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 15-04-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Good news! Their customer services agreed to send me through two new packs!
                          http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by WeeGarden View Post
                            Good news! Their customer services agreed to send me through two new packs!
                            That’s one thing at least. Hopefully this batch germinate better.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X