No announcement yet.

Marigolds in tomato beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience of french marigolds is that they provide a banquet for slugs and snails. There is rarely anything left by the morning after planting, even when the plants are big enough to be in flower.
    Last edited by Penellype; 18-03-2018, 06:40 PM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I’m planting a tomato in the two corners of one of my raised beds (square foot system). I was planning to grow marigold and some basil in the square between them and maybe dotted around them, I hear both are beneficial companions.

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
        My experience of french marigolds is that they provide a banquet for slugs and snails. There is rarely anything left by the morning after planting, even when the plants are big enough to be in flower.
        I grew some a few years ago to fill up some bare ground under some benches and attract bees etc and thankfully I don't remember slugs being a problem with them so hopefully I won't get too bothered with them this time around either. I'll keep an eye out for them though.

Comment

If you are worried about them robbing nutrients from the bed, grow the marigolds in pots & just place the pots on the bed.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I grow most of my tomatoes in containers and plant a marigolds along side
            Never seem to have problem with aphids.
            It's definitely worth giving it a try,

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              If you are worried about them robbing nutrients from the bed, grow the marigolds in pots & just place the pots on the bed.
              Yeah that's a good idea Mally but I don't think I'll bother. I think I've read enough here to believe that there'll be enough nutrients in the soil for all the plants. I'd also guess that the tomato and marigold plants will probably use different minerals. The proof will be in the pudding though. I guess I'll find out at the end of the growing season.

The main reason though is that I find that plants grown in pots buried in the ground tend to require watering a bit more often.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                Do you just sow a few seeds when you transplant the tomatoes, or grow in modules as you grow the toms?
                We always start off in modules to give them a chance against slugs then plant out when they're big enough. Any in pots placed on the surface do tend to dry out readily but they put roots down into the soil through the drainage holes.
                Just have to keep an eye out for botrytis as the plants get bushy.
                Last edited by Mr Bones; 19-03-2018, 07:27 AM. Reason: Put the words in the right order
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I've bought these. Managed to get 90 from the pack of Keez Orange which was supposed to have 75 sowed today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1521476733573.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	2376870

Comment

If you as feeding your tomatoes with a liquid feed on a regular basis there will be enough surplus feeding for any flower plants
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamo View Post
                      I've bought these. Managed to get 90 from the pack of Keez Orange which was supposed to have 75 sowed today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79059[/ATTACH]
                      Since I posted that I also sowed 200 Marigold Bonita seeds. Not bad considering there was only supposed to be 150 in the packet. There's still a shed load left in the packet too. I think they'll be saved for next year.

Comment

You'll also get 1000's of seeds from the plants.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamo View Post
                          Since I posted that I also sowed 200 Marigold Bonita seeds. Not bad considering there was only supposed to be 150 in the packet. There's still a shed load left in the packet too. I think they'll be saved for next year.
                          Wow, fair play but I don't know how you managed to count all those seeds.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                            Wow, fair play but I don't know how you managed to count all those seeds.
                            Quite easy. I have 5 trays with 40 cells in each and one seed in each cell for the Bonita and a larger tray with 75 cell's for the Keez.

Comment

Finally finished sowing the Marigolds. Today I sowed 200 Crackerjacks. It's probably overkill but I could pop them into any gaps for the bees and/or I'll probably give some away. Here's them all in my greenhouse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1521561945831.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	2376879

Comment

Good to see people growing companion plants like this

Wildlife friendly gardening and companion planting has made a massive difference to my garden. Lots more bees, and also things like ladybirds and hoverflies which are great predators of the aphids.

Poached egg plants are particularly good at attracting hoverflies, and I now have plenty established from self-seeded plants. Have both Calendula Pot Marigolds, and Tagetes French Marigolds, and agree with P. about slugs/snails being more attracted to the Tagetes French/African types.

Calendula Marigolds are much more hardy, don't seem to be affected by slugs/snails, and also self-seed quite happily. Although I also save seeds to share, and to grow a few extra to have in pots in the greenhouse initially before then planting out in gaps in the garden.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X