No announcement yet.

how long in a propagator?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the only problem is they are going to have to sit in the propagator trays for at least this week and possibly next. I have some more foil, so I'll make up some reflectors to increase sunlight levels.

Aside from drying out, is there any risk to leaving them on a propagator too long?

Comment

If you leave them in the propagator they will grow very fast, they start searching for more light. You will end up with very thin spindly plants that cannot hold them selves up - tthey just flop over. Tomatoes can be potted on a bit deeper.....but there’s little else that can and tall spindly plants aren’t what you want. Take them out and put your plants in the sunniest spot as you can find. If you’ve sown direct in your prop trays just use something else in there for the time being. I often use mushroom trays, yoghurt pots etc.

Comment

Why don’t you just pot them on?

Comment

Time (or the lack thereof), It's dark when I leave the house, dark when I get back (and I'm not 1Bee...) they are balanced in the depths of my wife's sewing room, and I have a 3-yr old to wrangle, so it won't happen in the week.
          Next weekend, I'm due to get about half a day of "me" time (we are out as a family one day, and then we get half a day each for our hobbies).

Once they are properly up and looking happy, I'll turn the propagator off and put a reflector behind them. They can keep the potatoes company for a bit...

the other complicating factor is a shortage of windowsills - floor-to-ceiling windows in most rooms, and the ones that aren't are within climbing reach of the small person...
          Last edited by bikermike; 19-03-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X