Foxes and badgers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
    oh yes, I'd forgotten the biting through the power cable.
    not sure whether to be glad or annoyed it wasn't live at the time.
    I did, somewhat jokingly, suggest to Dad that if he left the power on then the problem would solve itself

He didn't take me up on that suggestion

Comment

Have seen foxes run up an 8ft. high wall with ease and badgers tearing through netting to get to the hens.
      I am different from most as the only answer to foxes is the old fashioned snare. All round us when you are out with the dogs the stink of foxes would make you sick [in days gone by].
      Bob.

Comment

You can buy a fox trap on ebay and then transport it somewhere else where it may be not as much of a nuisance
        Last edited by Billy's lad; 13-02-2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_m View Post
          I did, somewhat jokingly, suggest to Dad that if he left the power on then the problem would solve itself

He didn't take me up on that suggestion
          It should have been on an RCD so it wouldn't have made any difference. As I've found from bitter experience leads need a conduit. I use 1" pond hose.
          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I couldn’t bring myself to harm any of them . I love them dearly, and as we live just 50yds from woodland, that’s their natural habitat. The only reason they come here all the time is because the neighbour buys them sausages every night! What normal animal would say no to that?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy's lad View Post
              You can buy a fox trap on ebay and then transport it somewhere else where it may be not as much of a nuisance
              You may need to check the legal position on capture and release of foxes.

Comment

Post 18.
                As far as I am aware you need a licence from the police to operate a fox trap same as you now do for the Larson trap and snares. As far as I am let to believe you are not allowed to release a fox into the wild also without the necessary licence.
                Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelie View Post
                  I couldn’t bring myself to harm any of them . I love them dearly, and as we live just 50yds from woodland, that’s their natural habitat. The only reason they come here all the time is because the neighbour buys them sausages every night! What normal animal would say no to that?
                  Depends on the quality of the sausage... my butcher does a good line in chilli and Iru Bru

Comment

Providing you follow the rules you can trap foxes. No licences are needed.

BUT it's a waste of time as the vacant territory will be taken over by another fox. It'll be a war of attrition which you'll lose. It's bad practice to release elsewhere and you'd have to go a long way as a radio-collared vixen homed 35 miles in 12 days.

I like foxes. They keep the rats down. Unfortunately they're not fast enough to get squirrels and magpies.

For the official side see http://www.colchester.gov.uk/CHttpHa...x?id=11725&p=0

Don't like badgers, they dig up bees' nests, killed a fox cub and dug some big holes.
                    Last edited by DannyK; 14-02-2018, 03:02 PM.
                    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I would never trap them. I think it’s cruel. I really don’t mind them being here and enjoy watching them. I just don’t want them ruining my crops.

Comment

We're orff!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 16.30.45.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	2376482

"And they didn't even have any brown sauce!"
                        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Wheelie you can get a small energizer off the ebay that runs on 12 volt & 9volt batteries or mains power using a transformer ( old phone gharger or the like) they are called Brocot and cost about £30 ,if you fix two copper wires around your beds leaving a 20mm gap between them the fox /cat will put its paws on the wires and make a contact ! it will not arm them and they learn to avoid the beds ,its only a small charge but will make you jump if you forget to turn it off before doing any work on your bed I know I tested it on my fench ! atb Dal

Comment

they are called small animal energizers atb Dal
                            Last edited by Dalrimple; 14-02-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Beautiful. I’ve not seen any babies yet, but I’ve heard the awful mating noises so there may well be some soon

Comment

Originally posted by Dalrimple View Post
                                Wheelie you can get a small energizer off the ebay that runs on 12 volt & 9volt batteries or mains power using a transformer ( old phone gharger or the like) they are called Brocot and cost about £30 ,if you fix two copper wires around your beds leaving a 20mm gap between them the fox /cat will put its paws on the wires and make a contact ! it will not arm them and they learn to avoid the beds ,its only a small charge but will make you jump if you forget to turn it off before doing any work on your bed I know I tested it on my fench ! atb Dal
                                Thanks for that, I shall go take a look

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X